Field hockey has pair of chances at home to earn first win

New York senior Elaine Materise attempts to get the ball from Ohio player during the Chippewa's field hockey game at the field hockey complex on Oct. 2, 2015. The Chippewa's fell short to the Bobcats, 3-1.

The Central Michigan field hockey team stays home for two games this weekend, with Missouri State at 3 p.m. on Friday and a nonconference game against No. 14 Michigan at noon on Sunday.

Missouri State (5-9, 2-1 Mid-American Conference) is looking for their fourth consecutive shutout, which is the longest streak since 2001 when the Bears had 6 consecutive shutouts.

A win against Missouri State would be CMU's first of the season and would boost its chances of making the Mid-American Conference Tournament, as it enters the game 0-12 and 0-3 in the MAC. 

“This is definitely an important game for us,” said Head Coach Molly Pelowski. “We just need to play our best hockey and execute the full 70 minutes.”

The Chippewas are coming off a loss to Iowa, where CMU lead a strong first half but fell to the Hawkeyes. On Sunday, the team faces Michigan, the 14th-ranked team in the nation (11-3, 4-1 Big Ten). CMU is 78th out of 78 teams in the NCAA Field Hockey RPI Rankings and is one of three teams without a win.

The field hockey team encourages students and faculty to come out and support.

“We love when we have a big crowd for our games,” said midfielder Maude Stalars. “The support adds like a 12th person to the team and keeps up the team spirit.”