Field hockey defeated by No. 20 Iowa after strong first half

Palmyra sophomore Haley Bova goes for ball during Central Michigan University's home field hockey game on Sunday, Oct. 11.

Two minutes. For two minutes—with 20 minutes left to play—the winless field hockey team stood toe-to-toe, with the score tied 1-1, with the No. 20 team in the nation.

And just as quickly as it gained the momentum, it was gone.

After the Chippewas tied it, the Hawkeyes scored a pair of goals in the next 3:19. It was just another tough blow to a to the field hockey team that is 0-12 overall and 0-3 in the Mid-American Conference.

“I think we got a little tired,” said Head Coach Molly Pelowski. “Iowa was coming at us with speed and we got a little panicy.”

Up until the two-goal burst by the Hawkeyes, the Chippewa defense had played strong allowing one goal and only five shots on goal.

Coming out of halftime, CMU was down 1-0 until the 49th minute when senior midfielder Elaine Materise scored her first goal of the season to bring the game to a 1-1 tie.

Iowa forwards Veronique Declercq and Stephanie Norlander scored the two goals that would take the wind out of the Chippewas' sails.

Fourteen minutes later, in the 66th minute, the Hawkeyes would score another goal by Chandler Akers that would prove to be the final blow.

“We have to play better defense,” Pelowski said. “It starts in the back, and when our passing game is on, you can start to create a little bit more offensively. Next game we’re hoping to connect a few more dots."

Iowa outshot CMU 16-5 in Sunday's game. The Chippewas have just two goals in their past four games, and have not scored more than two goals in a game since their season-opening 10-3 loss Aug. 28 against Delaware.

The Chippewas will return to league play next Friday at noon against Missouri State, a must win for the team if they have any aspirations of making it to the MAC tournament.