Football coaches to wear painted shoes for Buffalo game

kids_painting_shoes_2

Photo courtesy of the Central Michigan University Bookstore.

After receiving an incorrect shipment of shoes, the Central Michigan University Bookstore decided to turn the mistake into something positive.

The bookstore staff decided to use the shoes to raise money for cancer research.

“I ordered a shoe that was supposed to be white with custom maroon highlights and the shoe came in all white.” said Bookstore Director Barry Waters. “Instead of wallowing in our mistake, we thought we good do something good.”

The shoes were given to the CMU Child Development and Learning Laboratory for the preschoolers to paint in maroon and gold. The shoes will be worn by the CMU football coaching staff for  the game against Buffalo on Saturday, and then will be auctioned off.

The money will be donated to the University of Michigan Cancer Center, where Head Coach John  Bonamego underwent and completed his radiation treatment over the summer.

“We thought about the preschool on campus, and Coach Bonamego going through his cancer situation and figured we would work this in during October since it’s cancer awareness month,” Waters said.

Not only does this raise awareness for cancer and money for research, but it brings attention for the CDLL and gives the kids there something fun to do.

“We are trying to help coach raise awareness for cancer and also raise awareness for the great preschool that the College of Education runs,” Waters said.

Central Michigan plays the University at Buffalo at 1:00 p.m. at Kelly Shorts Stadium Saturday. The shoes will be auctioned on the bookstore website starting Monday and ending Nov. 2.