International students march in Homecoming Parade for first time

img_0651

Hechi Guangxi China grad student, Junli Wu helps position flags on Rotaract Club's float before the parade on Oct. 3, 2015.

International students wearing traditional clothing and waving flags from their home countries walked through campus and into downtown Mount Pleasant in the Homecoming parade Oct. 3.

The International Student Organization organized this event, with representation from the Bangladeshi Student Association, Indian Student Association, Saudi Student Club and Chinese Students and Scholars Association. This was their first year participating. 

ISO President Jillur Rahim said one of ISO’s goals this year is to promote culture exchange and build bridges between international students and American students.

By participating in the parade and representing different cultures, the students aimed to celebrate the diversity at CMU, the graduate student said.

“It’s a time to show our culture and invite everyone,” said graduate student Divya Teja Muvva, who is from India. 

This is her first year at CMU, and she said she is excited to get to know everyone from other countries.

Senior Shaminul Shakib participated in the parade to present his country to others and to promote the recently formed Bangladeshi Student Association.

“(I like) dressing up, seeing people dress up and walking around town in this crazy cold weather,” he said.

Vishwa Teja Reddy G, president of International Student Association, said he was excited to display his culture and partner with ISO to participate in the parade.

The students wanted to not only show their pride for their cultures, Rahim said, but also show that they care about the things other students at CMU care about.

“Everyone here is very excited,” Muvva said.