Soccer ties in double overtime

Ann Arbor junior Eliza Van de Kerkhove looks to her teammates for the ball during the Chippewas' soccer game against Eastern Michigan at the Central Michigan soccer complex on Oct. 9.

It took an extra 20 minutes for the Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan soccer match to come to a decision, Friday night.

Central Michigan (3-7-2, 2-2-1 Mid-American Conference) came within inches of victory in the first of two sudden death overtimes, as the ball came within inches of crossing the Eastern Michigan goal line before a sliding Eagle defender cleared it to save the game.

At the end of the second overtime, the final score remained a 0-0 stalemate, giving both teams a point in MAC play.

The tie is Central Michigan’s second this season and first in MAC play.

Central Michigan continued its trend of starting games slowly, something Head Coach Peter McGahey said his team needed to fix following Sunday’s loss to Ball State.

“I thought, particularly in the first half, we didn’t come out with enough eagerness and excitement,” McGahey said. “As the game went on and our eagerness and excitement got better, our game improved dramatically. "

McGahey said his team had a strong shot at winning, Friday.

"Sometimes there’s good ties and sometimes there’s not good ties," he said. "I would say tonight, (we) didn’t lose, but I think we probably left points on the table.”

Central Michigan picked up their intensity in the second half, but couldn’t find the back of the net—a season-long issue.

McGahey said junior midfielder Eliza Van de Kerkhove and freshman forward Madison Costner, who saw an expanded role, were leaders in the second half offensively.

“We need more people on our team to step up,” Van de Kerkhove said. “I want to be that player. I’m doing every single thing I can to be that player, but when we don’t get results it’s hard. You know (success) is coming.”

McGahey told his team after Friday’s game their product on the field was not representative of how they prepared during the week.

“Sometimes players will come and try and do what they want to do,” McGahey said. “Sometimes it’s really important to stay within what our team does, within the context of our team—be humble and approach the game in a humble workmen like way.”

Central Michigan will host Bowling Green Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Soccer and Lacrosse Complex.

“Welcome to the MAC,” McGahey joked about the quick turnaround with Bowling Green (6-6-1) on deck. “It certainly doesn’t get easier and we’ll regroup and bounce back for Sunday.”   

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →