COLUMN: Everyone is a product from past refugees

gabe

Since the terrorist attacks in Paris, the idea of accepting Syrian refugees within the borders of Europe and the U.S. has changed dramatically.

A number of protests rose from different nations, states and politicians. Here in the U.S., more than 30 states are refusing to welcome a part of this migrating population, including Michigan.

Gov. Rick Snyder said the first priority of the state is ensuring the safety of its residents.

In Europe, countries such as Germany and France are still finding a way to accommodate a small part of the refugees. There’s an increasing part of Europeans who disapprove of these operations and a gradual overheating debate between left and right wing politicians.

Fear and suspicion are invading the world, just like 14 years ago after the 9/11 attacks. Many people don’t feel comfortable in their homes anymore, especially Parisians. A sense of anguish has invaded their minds. You can find it simply by checking some Facebook posts.

The positive fact is that a substantial amount of the world's population isn’t deceived by common stereotypes or biases toward people from the Middle East. They support the option for a dialogue and the possibility of a solution about this, even if some European and American politicians (mostly radical) try to give a distorted frame of it, by exploiting it for their own interest.

Nevertheless, world nations are still paralyzed and shocked about the attack and don't judge what is happening now. The consequence is non-stop bombing from France and Russia on Syria. France Minister of Defense Yves le Drien said the future attack of the European Union will be directed to countries such as Iraq and others from North Africa, aside from Syria.

Will it be the beginning of a new European (and American) imperialism? Another wave of violence, struggles and domination upon poorer and more fragile countries?

The risk of these war operations could worsen the situation on both sides. Middle Eastern and African countries would develop dangerous resentment, and radical groups such as ISIS or Al-Qaeda would get a wider support. On the European view, it would worsen its refugee crisis and break the financial and political balance E.U. is trying desperately to have.

Western Civilization is in a time where its belief of worldwide control and influence is shaking. These wars and refugees are the symbol that the world is no more subjugated under our feet. Cities like Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Nairobi, Taipei, Bangkok and Bangalore are rising at an incredible rate; manpower inhabits these places now.

The real problem is that everyone is facing a problem of identity — from gender to race, from culture to power, and if we don’t educate the world to accept each person and each (real) culture as it is, without crushing minorities and silencing poorer people, things will just keep getting worse.

Why are people fearful and distrustful, even of their own neighbor? Because they don’t know the others. They probably even don’t know themselves and they forgot that we all came from the same lands of Africa. We always traveled and we always fled from wars and bad situations. Everyone is a product of past refugees.