Ross, seniors shine to give football comeback win over Eastern Michigan

img_7801

In a game that lasted just short of four hours, it only took 34 seconds for the Central Michigan football team to take the lead twice and finish its regular season with a winning record.

The Chippewas outscored Eastern Michigan 28-7 in the third quarter and used four touchdowns from true freshman running back Romello Ross to pull off a 35-28 comeback win.

CMU finishes its regular season with a 7-5 record and claims a share of the Mid-American Conference West Division Championship with a 6-2 MAC record.

“I’m happy for our seniors," said Head Coach John Bonamego. "This is a big win for us. There’s a lot to be thankful for. It’s a good way to end the regular season and we’re excited to go bowling.”

Trailing 21-7 at halftime, the CMU defense forced five three-and-outs in the third quarter. On CMU's first offensive play of the half, junior quarterback Cooper Rush hit Ross for a 63-yard score to bring the game within seven.

“The (offensive line) did their job and I just read off of what they opened up," Ross said. “It was just rare to catch a play that (ran) perfect like that.”

On an Eastern Michigan punt attempt later in the quarter, senior safety Kavon Frazier blocked it from the left side to give the Chippewas prime field position. Two plays and 13 yards later, Ross used a three-yard run to tie the game at 21.

On the next drive, EMU quarterback Brogan Roback hit Austin Stone for 61 yards, but CMU sophomore cornerback Josh Cox forced a fumble inside the 10-yard line. The ball was recovered by senior defensive back Stefon Armstead who returned it to his own 22-yard line.

“We practiced on it a lot and we just did it all the time," Cox said. "I didn’t think I was ever going to have to use it. I just figured I would have to make a play after he made a big play. I just tried to strip the ball.”

Ross added an 18-yard rushing touchdown, his fourth of the game, with 1:20 left in the quarter. Sixteen seconds later, EMU's Darius Jackson had a 49-yard rushing touchdown to tie the game at 28. And then 18 seconds after that, Rush hit sophomore wide receiver Corey Willis for a 67-yard touchdown and the game-winning score.

Rush's pass to Willis sealed the CMU single-season passing record, beating Dan LeFevour's mark in 2007.

"It’s just about our execution and we were able to do that in the second half,” Rush said.

CMU received to start the game and a three-and-out on its first series turned the ball over to the Eagles. EMU converted on a third-and-22 and fourth-and-1 on their first possession, and capped it with a 6-yard touchdown from Roback to Sam Browning with 9:47 left in the quarter.

On EMU's second series, Roback recovered his own fumble and threw a pass into the arms of sophomore Amari Coleman, who returned it 28 yards for a CMU touchdown. However, officials ruled Roback was down when he picked up his fumble and sideline interference from CMU put the Eagles at the 35.

The second quarter started with a missed 47-yard field goal from junior kicker Brian Eavey, as the ball bounced off the left upright. On the next EMU possession, a pass from Eagles backup quarterback Reggie Bell was dropped behind the line of scrimmage and CMU recovered at its own 48-yard line.

Four plays and 52 yards later, Ross took the handoff from quarterback Cooper Rush at the five-yard line and scored his first collegiate touchdown to tie the game at seven.

On CMU's next possession, Rush was picked off by EMU's Kyle Rachwal who returned it 35 yards to give the Eagles a 14-7 lead.

The Chippewas got the ball back and worked it all the way to the 1-yard line before junior running back Jahray Hayes fumbled and EMU returned it to the Chippewas' 47.

Eavey missed his second field goal, a 40-yard attempt, to end the half.

“The first half wasn’t any much to be proud of. (We had) too many mistakes (and) penalties,"" Bonamego said. "They executed better than we did in the first half. I thought coming out in the second half we showed what type of team we were on both sides of the ball.”

Rush finished 25-for-39 for 391 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. CMU had a season-high 175 yards on the ground, with junior running back Martez Walker leading with 119 yards. Ross had 34 yards on seven carries and sophomore wide receiver Mark Chapman caught six passes for 61 yards.

Frazier had seven tackles on defense to lead the Chippewas.

The Chippewas will now await their bowl opponent, which will be announced on Dec. 6.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →