EDITORIAL: Odds are stacked against dorm debauchery

2015_1021_drinkingindorms_cm_003a_copy
Calli Morris | Staff Photographer Students pose for a photo in a dorm room on October 21, 2015 in Larzelere Hall.

According to statistics released each year by the Central Michigan University Police Department, if you are using illegal drugs or drinking underage on campus there is a high likelihood that you will be busted.

CMUPD's annual fire and safety report revealed a large increase in the number of on-campus liquor and drug violations, most of which were committed in the residence halls. Coming off the hangover of a cold and wet Halloween weekend, it is likely that more students opted to start the party in their dorm rooms or even stay hunkered down all night.

Partying in the residence halls can seem like a better alternative to a house party or Greek Life gathering, but you could get into a different kind of trouble by staying in.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requires universities to share crime reports so students are aware of criminal activity on campus. You should be aware that the statistics show you're more likely to be caught drinking underage or doing drugs in the residence halls than you'd think.

When you get caught, that potential fine or get kicked out of CMU.

There were 125 drug violations referred for disciplinary actions through the Office of Student Conduct in 2014 compared to only 65 in 2013. There were 473 liquor law violations referred for disciplinary action in 2014, 140 more than last year.

Realistically, some students will always get away with violating residence hall policies. However, more students are being caught every year. Those who aren't as lucky face penalties that are not worth "storming the dorms."

On the first alcohol offense, students are fined $200 and are required to take an online alcohol education course. Second-time offenders receive a $300 fine, must take another online alcohol education course and the student is put on disciplinary probation until graduation. A third offense results in suspension. Liquor violations are also kept on students' discipline and conduct record for seven years.

Controlled substance offenses have even steeper penalties. Offenders are fined $300 in addition to the other punishments. A second offense results in suspension.

The prevalence of underage drinking is an issue on campuses across the country. While police said there is no clear answer to why there was such a drastic increase in violations — though alcohol being more available to underage students was offered as a potential reason — these numbers show that more students are willing to take the risk.

Be smart about making the decision to consume substances in the residence halls. The dorms are not a place to go on a bender when going out seems too cumbersome.

One of the appeals of life at a university is exploring the freedom to make choices without the criticism of authority figures.

Living in the residence halls can put your own judgement to the test. Think about the consequences before doing something that gets that freedom taken away from you.