Pair of football players top weekend Jam Central basketball tournament

img_0423

Central Michigan University students warm up during the Jam Central basketball tournament on Nov. 6 at the Student Activity Center. 

On Friday night, basketball players of all skill levels gathered at the Student Activity Center for a 3-on-3 tournament put on by the PES 550: Sport Fundraising class, Jam Central. 

But the champions of the tournament are better known for their skills on the gridiron than their moves on the hardwood. Senior defensive tackle Shafer Johnson and former wide receiver senior Courtney Williams from the football team, along with junior Jalen Upshaw, took the tournament championship.

Skills challenges including a lightning competition and dribble knockout competition preceded the tournament. 

“I’m liking the atmosphere, (it has) good vibes,” said sophomore participant Jamie Rademacher. “I would definitely come again next year.”

More than 50 students from two sections of the class came together to put together the event.

“It was hard for communication, because there was two classes so it was hard to get everyone in one place to plan it. I don’t think all of us were ever together in one place,” said executive board member and women's basketball player Da'Jourie "Ree Ree" Turner. “The turnout was so much better than expected."

The purpose of the event was to provide hands-on experience for the students in the class, said senior class member and soccer player Kristen Knutson.

“You spend a lot of time learning about things, but in this class you actually get to do it,” Knutson said. “It’s one thing to do it on a test and another to actually do it in real life.”

“It’s outstanding and we had a great turnout, it ended up being one of the biggest we’ve had so far in the five-year history,” said Faculty Instructor and Associate Athletic Director for Executive Sales and Marketing Nick Williams. “I think they learned a lot, which was the whole experience and I’m very proud of my class. They knocked it out of the park with this.”

Regardless of the skill level, executive supervisor and senior broadcast and cinema arts major Matt Kearney said the event was a success.

“I’m pleased with that number and am excited to see everyone coming out to support a good cause,” Kearney said. “I’m seeing some very good players, some very bad players and some in between."