Sport fundraising class organizes three-on-three basketball tournament

jam_central

Students can channel their inner Michael Jordan or Bugs Bunny in a Space Jam-themed three-on-three basketball tournament Nov. 6 at the Student Activity Center.

The tournament is organized and run by 53 students in two PES 550: Sport Fundraising classes, led by executive supervisor and senior broadcast and cinema arts major Matt Kearney.

“It’s a real life hands on experience for the students to implement the information they are learning,” said Faculty Instructor and Associate Athletic Director for Executive Sales and Marketing Nick Williams.

Games will be scored by ones and twos, with loser’s getting possession after scores and free throws deciding games that go to overtime.

The money generated from the event goes to the scholarship fund for the department and gives students in sports management experience in organizing an event.

“The real underlying concept of this event is the idea of paying it forward,” Kearney said. “we want students to have opportunities like this one and ways to work in the sports industry while they are still in college. Kids like us will have more opportunity because of the funds made from this tournament.”

Participants can register any time through Jam Central’s Facebook page (Jam Central Presented by Todd Levitt) or at the event, starting at 4 p.m.

The first 100 players to register have the opportunity to participate in the skills challenge, which starts at 5 p.m. The tournament starts at 6 p.m. with a maximum of 64 teams. Raffle tickets will be sold starting at the beginning of the skills challenge.

Prizes, including gift cards from local businesses, will be given out. The winners of the skills challenge and tournament champions will each win prize packages from Adidas, said executive board member and senior sport management major Jacob Uithoven.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to win some of that and give back,” Uithoven said.

Jam Central has an account on Twitter and Instagram (@JamCentral_2015) with more information about the event.