Jerky fundraiser supports troops

The Chad Lee Band performs during the Jerky For Our Troops fundraising concert on Nov. 7, 2015 held at Wayside central. Proceeds benefited Aaron's Gifts From Home, a non-profit organization that sends care packages to troops overseas.

This Saturday at Wayside Central, veterans and CMU students gathered for a night of music, raffles, and collecting beef jerky to send to soldiers overseas. The “Jerky for Our Troops” fundraiser was held in honor of Aaron Ullom, a solider killed in action in Afghanistan.

“Jerky is really what the service members ask for,” said Aaron’s mother, Dedi Ullom. “(Aaron) loved getting jerky. He always asked for extras so that the other guys could have some.”

This is the second year the fundraiser has been put on and its first year on a college campus. Last year’s fundraiser brought in 513 pounds of jerky.

“We thought it’d be nice to get the college and the younger generation involved,” said Chad Lee, whose band performed at the event.

Lee also helped to create “Jerky for Our Troops,” joining with the non-profit organization Aaron’s Gifts From Home to supply men and women overseas with care packages.

Shane Taylor, a senior from Harrison, served in the Marine Corps for eight years and attended the event to show his support.

“I spent time over in Iraq and I knew how it was for me coming back, so when I got here and I got acclimated to campus all I wanted to do was make it better for other vets that were coming here,” Taylor said. “I’ve been where these people are. I just like showing up and showing my support.”