Student remains in Paris, campus reflects on international impact of attacks

12208676_10207963782875377_5210655523423621626_n_copy

Kelly Miller visited a memorial outside of a restaurant that was attacked on Nov. 13, 2015 in Paris, France.

In an apartment in Paris, Kelly Miller was having a quiet Friday evening, talking to her roommate after a long day, when her roommate received a text message.

"Are you OK?" the message read.

Miller immediately opened her laptop to find out why her friend was checking in. She learned that just two miles from her apartment, people at a restaurant became victims of one of the most violent terrorist attacks in French history. Miller spent the rest of her night watching a live stream of American news on her computer. She contacted her family to let them know she was safe, but she didn't feel safe. 

That Friday, reports circulated of a concert venue, restaurant and bar that were bombed by members of the terrorist group ISIS. At least 129 people died. Six different attacks, including one at a soccer stadium and concert hall were executed.

Back in the U.S., Miller's sister Allyson was trying on clothes while shopping with her family. When she came out of the dressing room, her family was huddled together outside the store. Miller's aunt got a notification on her phone that something terrible was happening in Paris. Fortunately, they heard from Miller right away. 

"Thankfully they stayed in that night because they were tired from school," Allyson said. "Even though she was home, we didn't know what was going on. There were so many different attacks happening. With her being so close, it was scary. It's still kind of scary." 

In Mount Pleasant, France native and assistant professor of French Leila Ennaili was keeping up with the France versus Germany soccer game. Her husband had just come home--the two were making dinner when the TV switched to a special report on attacks in Paris. 

"He was watching American channels," Ennaili said. "I was on the computer checking French sources. We continued to stay tuned to the news until late into the night."

The world was watching Paris, and an outpouring of support dominated social media. As of Nov. 18, almost 50,000 people are still posting and talking about the attacks. A student-organized vigil was held Sunday at CMU for victims of attacks in Paris, as well as other attacks around the world.

In the days following the attacks, Miller saw a side of a usually-vibrant Paris she hadn't seen before, especially while visiting restaurant "Le Petit Cambodge," the site of the second attack. It was a building she had passed by several times before, but hadn't gotten the chance to explore.

"I don't really know how to describe it," Miller said. "There was a sadness in the air. You could just feel it. Nobody was smiling. I took a moment to visit one restaurant that was attacked. There was a large crowd gathered around, placing flowers and candles on the sidewalk. Some people were crying, some were holding each other, but everybody was silent." 

"I took a moment to visit one restaurant that was attacked. There was a large crowd gathered around, placing flowers and candles on the sidewalk. Some people were crying, some were holding each other, but everybody was silent."  
-Kelly Miller, fashion merchandising senior

Around Paris, Miller said, there were military and police officers near the attack sites and metro stations. In a building that houses a student cafeteria, security guards were checking people's bags for the first time since Miller came to Paris in August. 

The Aftermath

Some have said these recent attacks are "Paris' 9/11." Ennaili sees parallels and differences between both events.

"They're the same in the sense that it's symbolic places that have been hit," she said. "The reaction of the international community--I feel like the world is with the French today. It's an emotional time." 

The past few days have been filled with sadness and confusion for Ennaili. In her mind, it's an international issue of terrorist groups that have worldwide reach. It's a European issue, because open borders can allow terrorists in and out. Lastly, she said, it's a French problem.

"Many of the terrorists were French men," she said. "With 9/11, the (Twin) Towers were sort of a symbol of America's economic power. I feel like hitting a concert hall, bars, restaurants--they're targeting something different. The youth was targeted, and a way of life, it seems." 

The political future of France could be in transition with upcoming regional elections, she said. France's "extreme right-wing party" has been making a lot of progress, and a fearful France population may vote for that type of candidate.

"I'm curious to see how the attacks will influence the elections," Ennaili said. "I'm hoping people will keep calm and think before they vote." 

Francois Hollande, France's president, has said from the night of the attacks that they are an act of terrorism. He's repeatedly said, "C'est la guerre,"--this is war. 

Student safety

On the night of the attacks, Miller was in immediate contact with Study Abroad Director Dianne De Salvo. The two have talked on the phone every day since.

De Salvo said nothing like this has happened during a student's study abroad trip in the past, but the office takes certain measures to keep students safe during unexpected events. All who study abroad are encouraged to register with the State Department's Marked Traveler Enrollment Program, De Salvo said. Through this, students get notices and warnings for U.S. citizens in locations around the world. Staff at the study abroad office also checked in with every student studying in Europe. They are all safe.

De Salvo hopes these events won't discourage students from studying abroad.

"That's a natural question to ask--should we go to Paris?" she said. "There was no reason to believe Paris would be under attack this semester."

Students also sign a release before studying abroad, that releases all claims of the university, which essentially says there is risk involved with travel, De Salvo said.

Despite the tragedy, Miller said Paris is her second home, and she will finish her semester abroad in December as planned.

"I feel very inspired by the way Parisians are determined to not let this change the way they live their day-to-day lives," she said. "I want to share in that strength with them." 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →