Instant Analysis: Chippewas handle Ferris State in preseason exhibition

Senior point guard Chris Fowler dribbles the ball passed the Ferris State defense on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2015 in McGuirk Arena. 

It was just a tease, but fans got a little taste at what the Central Michigan men's basketball team could be capable of this season when the Chippewas defeated Ferris State University 77-63 during the squad's first scrimmage on Saturday at McGuirk Arena. 

Thumbs up: 

On offense, it was more of the same from a Chippewa team that led the Mid-American Conference in shooting a season ago. CMU got open shots on the perimeter and allowed players not named Chris Fowler to handle the ball during key scoring opportunities. Fowler was the team's leading scorer and the MAC Player of the Year runner up in 2014-15. 

Junior guard Braylon Rayson and senior forward John Simons scored eight points each during the first half as the Chippewas built a comfortable 42-30 lead at halftime. 

Sophomore Luke Meyer got some experience playing outside the center position, forcing fellow second-year player DaRohn Scott to stay on the floor for extended minutes. Head Coach Keno Davis said last week giving Meyer a more unorthodox role on the team this year could be one solution to fixing CMU's long-term depth issues.  

Thumbs down: 

Davis' team averaged just more than 10 turnovers per game last season. The Chippewas were somewhat careless with the ball during their first exhibition on Saturday, turning it over to the Bulldogs six times before the starters exited the game. 

Defensive rebounding was less than stellar against an FSU team than shot less than 50 percent from the floor during the loss. 

On the defensive end, Scott appeared slightly overwhelmed playing the center position. The Grand Rapids sophomore is still adjusting to the speed of Division I college basketball and more time underneath the rim should gradually build his comfort in the low post. 

Next up:

The preseason Mid-American Conference favorite Chippewas begin the regular season at 4:30 p.m. on Friday at McGuirk Arena against Jacksonville State. 

JSU finished 12-19 overall and an abysmal 1-16 in road games last season. The Gamecocks won their first scrimmage of the year 110-61 during which guard Erik Durham led the team with 21 points in 16 minutes played. 

The matchup with JSU will be the first of two home nonconference games to start the season for the Chippewas, who lost only one game in McGuirk Arena last year. 

Stay with Central Michigan Life for more on today's exhibition game.

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →