Rapid Reaction: Central Michigan 74, McNeese State 73

Returning home to Mount Pleasant after suffering three losses and going winless in the Gulf Coast Showcase over Thanksgiving recess, Central Michigan men’s basketball defeated McNeese State 74-73 in the game's final seconds Monday at McGuirk Arena.

After McNesse State tied it with less than 30 seconds to play, junior guard Braylon Rayson was fouled as he headed toward the basket. After making the second free throw, McNeese State took the ball down the court, but missed a 3-point look that would have won the game.

The win brings the Chippewas to 3-3 on the season and it is the first CMU win since defeating Alma at home on Nov. 17.

Early foul troubles:

Throughout the first half, both teams gave each other plenty of chances to score from the free-throw line as CMU and McNeese State combined for 14 fouls first-half fouls. 

Six of the eight Chippewas who saw playing time committed at least one foul, three of which committed at least three fouls.

The Chippewas committed eight of the 14 fouls, leading to six free throw opportunities for the Cowboys.

Continuing to commit fouls into the second half, CMU Head Coach Keno Davis was forced to constantly shuffle his lineup and use more substitutions in the winning effort.

Taking chances from deep:

CMU has increasingly made the 3-point shot a primary feature of its offensive focus. Monday night against the Cowboys was no exception. 

Despite shooting a low percentage from deep, the Chippewas kept it a part of their plan throughout the game.

Sophomore guard Josh Kozinski and freshman guard Corey Redman led the 3-point attack for CMU on the night.

Kozinski went 3-for-7 and Redman went 2-for-3 from 3-point range.

Margin of victory:

With the win over the Cowboys, CMU’s margin of victory in 2015 improves to an average of seven points per game.

In their wins so far, the Chippewas have scored an average of just more than 80 points per game.

What's next:

Next on the schedule for the Chippewas is a 2,060-mile trip to Phoenix, Arizona to take on Grand Canyon University.

It will be a rematch of last year’s contest between the two teams, which resulted in a narrow 79-77 CMU victory.

The Antelopes are coached by former-Chippewa Dan Majerle, who was a member of the 1993 NBA Champion Phoenix Suns alongside Charles Barkley.

The game is scheduled to be tipped at 9 p.m at GCU Arena. 

Keep following Central Michigan Life for a full game story on Monday's win at McGuirk Arena with reaction from Davis and the team