Trans Week of Awareness events to take place next week

Trans Week of Awareness is being recognized by events that will take place next week. The events are sponsored by the registered student organization, Transcend, and the Office of LGBTQ Services.

Panelists will hsare their experiences and answer questions on navigating romantic relationships as transgender and cisgender people. The Trans Relationships Panel will be at 7 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 16 in the Bovee University Center, room to be announced.

A presentation on transmisogyny and the specific oppression facing by transgender women will be given as a part of Solidarity Through Understanding: Contesting Transmisogynist Misrepresentations at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 17 in the Bovee University Center. It will focus on combatting transmisogynist myths and standing in solidarity with transgender women.

Contemporary transgender issues and standing in solidarity with the transgender community will take place in hour-long sessions as a part of the Trans 201 Sessions. These sessions will be held at 12 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 18 at the Bovee University Center, room to be announced.

Join Transcend, for a candlelight vigil in honor of the trans lives lost this year to hate and violence. The Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil is on Thursday, Nov. 19 at 7 p.m. outside of the University Center.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →