Transcend educates students on contemporary trans issues

dsc_1072

Transcend president Ash Alexander and vice president Kai Niezgoda present information at the Transcend Q&A on Wednesday, Nov. 18, at the Bovee University Center.

Members of the registered student organization Transcend provided a safe space for students to discuss contemporary transgender issues at Trans 201 sessions on Wednesday.

Transcend president Ash Alexander and vice president Kai Neizgoda covered macro issues that affect transgender individuals, such as violence, mental health and economic disparity, in addition to micro issues. Microaggressions include misgendering people, asking invasive questions, making assumptions and not allowing transgender individuals to use the correct bathrooms. 

Neizgoda said microaggressions, which are often experienced daily, add up and have a negative impact on people.

One example of invasive questioning they shared was Caitlyn Jenner being asked about the difficulties of being a woman. Neizgoda said there are several issues with this question.

“Caitlyn Jenner does not represent all transgender people, and a cisgender woman wouldn’t ever be asked (to describe what being a woman is like),” they said.

Alexander and Neizgoda explained the intersection of transmisogyny and sexism, in addition to the intersection of race. Neizgoda said transgender people of color experience the same issues as transgender people, but on a heightened level because of the intersection of transphobia and racism.

Nonbinary people face similar issues to trans people, in addition to other specific issues.

One common issue in the transgender community is binary, exclusive language. Neizgoda, who identifies as nonbinary, has noticed that introducing pronouns has become more common on CMU’s campus. However, there are still some people who argue for the use of gender-neutral pronouns. Neizgoda often hears people say the usage of “they/them/their” pronouns are not grammatically correct.

Neizgoda pointed out that people use gender-neutral pronouns all the time without realizing it.

“Why is it only an issue when people ask you to use them?” they said.

Besides, Neizgoda said, the validation of people’s identities should matter more than grammar rules.

This presentation and Q & A session was part of Trans Week of Awareness, sponsored by Transcend and the Office of LGBTQ Services. There will be a Day of Remembrance vigil outside the Bovee University Center on Thursday at 7 p.m. to conclude this week’s awareness events.