Four restaurants to visit before graduation

2015_1209_mtprestaurants_ar_010_copy
Abbie Robinson | Staff Photographer Customers enjoy lunch at the Pixie restaurant on Dec. 9 at 302 N. Mission St.

Between attending class, studying, work and extra-curricular activities, it can be hard to eat something other than instant ramen noodles as a college student. However, before your time is up here at Central Michigan University, there are some fun and unique restaurants in Mount Pleasant that are a must-visit before senior year. Here are the ones we chose.

1. Pixie Restaurant
Located: 302 North Mission Street

Classic American food, a 1950s atmosphere and a slice of historic Mount Pleasant can all be found at Pixie. Pixie started off as Mount Pleasant’s very first Carhop restaurant almost 70 years ago and continues to be a staple in town.

“We enjoy coming here for things like the décor and I remember coming here as a kid," said Gina Burkholder who was sitting having a meal at the Pixie with her son Nick. “It really takes me back”.

It is known for their Famous Pixie Coney Dog and Bitty Burgers as well as their Pixie Wall of Fame Challenge. PIxie also hold its Cruisin’ the Pix car shows Memorial Day through Labor Day.

2. Midori Sushi and Martini Bar
Located:
105 East Broadway Street

This sushi and martini bar has only been a part of the local scene for a few years but is without a doubt a must-visit.

“We have a unique offering here with the cuisine such as the sushi and Asian share plates. There is also the bar where all of our drinks are handcrafted," said General Manager Leah Hetherington. “People are also really drawn to the sophisticated ambiance here."

From the classic California roll and popular firecracker shrimp to something a little more adventurous like the Hamachi Mango roll, it is hard to be disappointed by anything on the menu.

3. Pisanello's Pizza
Located: 110 North Main Street

“Home of Mount Pleasant’s best pizza!” is this pizzeria’s claim. The cozy dining area creates a relaxed atmosphere for a low-key night out. Whether it’s the savory Pepperoni Pizza or one of their specialty pizzas like the Bacon Cheese Burger Pizza or California White Pizza, everything on the menu provides a gourmet taste without breaking the bank.

“I like eating here because of the great service and being able to order whatever kind of pizza you want for their buffet," said senior Tyler Harless.

They also have salad and subs menu as well as gluten-free options that provide a little something for everyone.

4. Stan's Diner
Located:
220 East Broadway Street

If you're looking for a great way to start your day, Stan's Diner provides some of the best breakfast in town boasting "home-cooking away from home."

Stan Binkowski opened Stan’s Diner in 1965 and sold it in 1986. Today, it's owned and managed by Tammy Germain, who used to waitress and work with Binkowski himself.

“Stan and I were here every day, making soup and turkey,” Germain said. “I like the people and atmosphere (here) and (buying the restaurant) seemed like my calling.”

Whether it's a fat stack of pancakes or a tuna melt you're craving, the Mount Pleasant diner provides hot food with a smile and is one of the top restaurants to hit prior to graduation.

Contributions to this article were made by staff reporter Sarah Clinkscales.