Fowler returns to practice Tuesday

Senior guard hasn't played since Nov. 7 after starting the first 94 games of his career at CMU

img_8863

Senior point guard Chris Fowler dribbles the ball passed the Ferris State defense on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2015 in McGuirk Arena. 

Senior guard Chris Fowler returned to practice briefly on Tuesday, taking the next step in the recovery process.

Fowler didn’t seem hindered during the half-court action at the end of Tuesday’s practice, although a brace was on his right knee.

“This was the first day that he did any live 5-on-5, so I think that’s the biggest bright spot,” said CMU Men’s Basketball Head Coach Keno Davis. “I think overall that’s a good sign to see him out there.”

Fowler has not played since the exhibition game against Ferris State Nov. 7 due to an undisclosed injury. Davis said the team has missed its captain and is energized by his presence.

The Southfield native will travel with the team to Arizona for Thursday’s game against Grand Canyon after staying home during last week’s Gulf Coast Showcase. However, senior forward Blake Hibbitts — who’s out for the season with a torn ACL — will also be making the trip this week.

Davis said last week that the team couldn't set a timetable for Fowler’s return until he participated in practice.

“Part of it was seeing when he could get on the court and getting some live action,” Davis said. “Now it’s about, how does he respond to it? He does he feel tonight? How does he feel tomorrow morning? That gives the trainers and the doctors a little bit better of an idea of what his timetable will be.”

CMU is 3-3 this season, including a 74-73 win over McNeese State on Monday after having a 14-point lead midway through the second half. All three losses came in the Gulf Coast Showcase last week.

The team will come home for a pair of games at McGuirk Arena next week, hosting Aquinas Dec. 7 and Texas Southern Dec. 12 before heading back west to face Brigham Young Dec. 18.

There are seven more games before the Mid-American Conference season begins Jan. 6 against Eastern Michigan.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →