Dog Central may start serving beer

dogcentral_md_01
Downtown Mount Pleasant favorite Dog Central has been catering to residents, as well as students since February 2011.

Those who frequent Dog Central may be able to have a beer with their hotdog soon.

At the Mount Pleasant Planning Commission's Dec. 3 meeting, commissioners unanimously approved the popular downtown business a special use permit, which would allow it to obtain a liquor license through the Michigan Liquor Control Commission. 

City Planner Jacob Kain said this is the first in about three steps before Dog Central can begin serving alcohol. The restaurant must obtain a liquor license to be classified as a Class I restaurant, or one that makes more than 50 percent of its profit from food sales, but also sells alcohol. 

"They are applying for a liquor license," Kain said. "That's a separate process, and the planning commission's involvement is only to permit the use of having a liquor license. They had to obtain a special use permit first."

Owner Paul McFall said in a statement to the commission that the restaurant would serve an "extensive canned beer lineup," featuring happy hours and dollar hours on certain beers. McFall said the business would stop serving alcohol at 1 a.m. to avoid problems with underage drinking and drunk customers. He doesn't anticipate an increase in noise or traffic with the change. 

Dog Central will also change its hours; it will be open on Sundays, and most likely closing at 3 p.m. on Mondays, said McFall. In his statement, McFall said the 10-year plan for the restaurant involves expanding to other locations statewide. He would like it to be a landmark for hotdogs and sausages in Michigan. Opening in February 2011, the restaurant frequently sees out-the-door lines on the weekends. 

The Planning Commission found Dog Central is in compliance for a special use permit in its current location, 111 East Michigan Street. The Mount Pleasant City Commission will vote on whether to endorse Dog Central at its Dec. 14 meeting. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →