Party at Franklin Village results in 43 arrests

2015_830_welcomeweekend_kc001_copy

A Central Michigan University patrol car blocks a street north of campus on Aug. 29, 2015 during Welcome Weekend.

After three weeks of receiving calls pertaining to one apartment at Franklin Village, a party there resulted in the arrests of 43 people early Saturday morning. 

All 43 were charged with hosting or attending a nuisance party. None of those cited were Central Michigan University students.

Police were called to the 1300 block of East Gaylord Street at 1:04 a.m. when reports surfaced of two people publicly urinating in the parking lot of the complex. When officers arrived, the smell of marijuana smoke was in the air along with trash and debris "littering the front lawn."

Mount Pleasant Police Officer Jeff Browne said the department has been receiving calls about this apartment complex for weeks. The calls were usually in regards to noise complaints.

"Normally, (the department) is pretty fortunate and we get cooperation from those attending the party. Most folks will answer the door and help us alleviate the problem," he said. "In this case, we had to obtain a search warrant in order to get in to the apartment. They wouldn't work with us at all.

Browne likened this incident to a similar nuisance party during Homecoming Weekend in which "30 to 35 people" were arrested in Polo Village.

He believes it is a possibility the occupants of the apartment possessed a police scanner and were able to pick up on police dispatch calls regarding their parties.

A small amount of marijuana was uncovered by police while at the party.

Charges for the possession of the drugs are still pending. It will be up to the prosecutor as to if those charges will be dropped or not, Browne said.

Along with the 43 arrested, five minors were also present at the party. They have been released back to their parents.

Those arrested are being housed at the Mount Pleasant Police Department until they are "both sober and can produce $350 for bond," Browne said.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →