Police advise how to keep belongings safe during break

2015_914_dorms_cm03_copy
Grand Rapids freshman Turner Sytsma, left, works on his academic plan while Macomb freshman Suruchi Dash, right, studies in Larzelere Hall on September 15, 2015. Calli Morris | Staff Photographer

Central Michigan University Police Department and Mount Pleasant Police officials advise students to take valuables with them when they leave over winter break to minimize the possibility of a break-in.

While incidents of breaking into residence halls over winter break are rare, Mount Pleasant Police Officer Jeff Browne said the department receives several reports each year of off-campus apartment and home invasions over winter break.

Expensive or sentimental valuables to take home may include technology like laptops, iPads and jewelry.

“The big thing for checking out of a dorm is following the checklist and instructions that Residential Life gives out, whether you’re living on campus or off campus,” said CMUPD Lt. Cameron Wassman.

Students leaving their off-campus apartments or homes for winter break should turn down their heat, make sure all windows and doors are locked and close all blinds so the inside of the home isn't visible to potential intruders, Wassman said.

Students should leave an inside and outside light on or quietly play a radio to give off the impression of a person being inside the residence, Browne said. Valuables should also be taken out of cars remaining on campus. This ranges from personal items to change left in a visible area of the car.

“If you are going to stay in the area, make sure to look out for your neighbors and if you see anything that doesn’t seem right. Call the police so we can check it out,” Browne said.

Students in residence halls are required to complete a checklist before leaving for break, including removing garbage and unplugging all electrical appliances. Resident Assistants go through each room to ensure the checklist is complete before the building is closed.

Residence halls will be locked from Dec. 19 at 6 p.m. to Jan. 10 at 9 a.m. CMUPD officers will conduct property checks throughout all campus buildings to ensure they are locked.

“Historically, the buildings and residence halls are left alone, but we are prepared to make sure things are secure,” Wassman said.