Study spots on campus help students prepare for finals

2015_1205_studying_as_007_copy
Alanna Sparks | Staff Photographer

With final exams rapidly approaching, students are gathering at various study spots for some quiet, distraction-free study time. 

While some prefer to study in their dorms or apartments, there are common study places such as the Charles V. Park Library, study rooms inside residence halls, the Education and Human Services building and Grawn Hall. Places like Starbucks inside the Bovee University Center ensure students never go hungry during study time.

The library is a popular place during finals week, offering a variety of resources such as computers, desks and the Writing and Math Centers in addition to endless shelves of books.

Essexville sophomore Lauren Ouellette said she uses the library to study at least five times a week. 

“I’m much more productive in the library because it eliminates all of my distractions. I’m able to really zone in on my homework as opposed to my dorm,” Ouellette said.

The library is also the go-to study spot for Brighton senior Gina Aguzzi. 

“I come here when I’m working on major projects or papers or working in a group,” she said. “It’s more quiet so I can focus, and there’s so much room so I can be by myself if I need to.”

On-campus students don't have to venture far for a quiet place to study. Residence halls offer study rooms that are open 24-hours a day.

“They’re comfortable and quiet and everybody’s respectful,” said Fenwick sophomore Kaila Kosten, a resident of Fabiano Hall. “They’re easy to access, whereas with the library you have to take a five minute walk, and they’re open all the time (compared to) the library closes at certain times on different days of the week.”

Danielle Blessing, a junior from Rochester, gets most of her studying completed in the Education and Human Services building.

“I normally study here every Monday and Wednesday for a couple of hours,” Blessing said. “I feel like it’s a lot more quiet and I can focus easier.”

Study rooms in Grawn Hall are ideal for working on group projects, said Midland senior DJ Koontz. 

“The rooms are nice and quiet and it’s a really easy place to meet with people. They have a computer with a screen on the wall so that everybody can see the same screen. It’s really convenient,” Koontz said.

The Starbucks inside the Bovee University Center is another study spot for students looking for a bite to eat or a caffeine boost during long study sessions.

“The library is too serious for me,” said Coopersville sophomore Brynna Hilton. 

Hilton is a Starbucks employee and frequently uses the area as her study spot of choice. 

“It’s a familiar building. In the past two weeks this is probably my sixth time (studying by Starbucks).”