Trap Door Improv entertains before finals

On Dec. 12, Trap Door Improv performed its first 6 p.m. show in about three months. 

About 50 people watched the performance.

The show included about eleven skits, also called games by the performers. In each skit, the audience was asked to give some input; this included either a time period, lines for the performers, characters and more.

One of the first skits the group performed was called "Handout," which involved a few of the audience members. A performer would start a sentence and then put their hand out to the selected audience member, and they would have to finish that sentence.

Another popular skit that the performers did was called Rap Attack. This involved two teams who rapped back and forth; the first one to mess up was out and the other team got a point. The audience picked the first word, and then the teams had to rap using words that rhyme with that chosen word.

The last skit that they did was based on a movie title that the audience made up. At this performance, “Christmas Commando” was chosen. The performers had to act as if they were in that movie.

The audience included both students and town residents.

Buck and Shelley Waller attended the show to watch their daughter perform.

“It was great. My favorite skit was “switch left” because they have to think fast," Shelly said. "I would get too confused if that was me."

“We have attended the shows about five or six times, and it is awesome every time,” said Buck.

Dani Montpetit and Calyn Liberati, two CMU students, said they enjoyed the performance.

“The performances were on point today, and I think everyone had an even share of talent. My favorite skit was the rap battle,” said Calyn. “I also really liked being able to be involved in a skit; I’ve never done that before. It is a whole other element to the experience.”

From a performer’s perspective, Anthony Jones thought the show went pretty well.

“It was good, even though I was hoping that the audience would say more and be more involved,” said Jones. “My favorite skit tonight was Hamster because we had to describe three crazy scenarios of how a hamster died; it was fun. My all-time favorite skit would be Invisible Man, which is when there is three people on stage and one person is un-seen by the others, so he just messes with them. I also love hosting Rap Attack, it is a lot of fun.”

Trap Door Improv  will hold auditions this January.