No. 19 CMU takes brief lead, eventually falls to No. 8 Michigan

Nazareth, Pennsylvania senior Zach Horan heads against his Missouri opponent at Central Michigan's wrestling match in McGurick Arena, Sunday, January 17, 2016.  

Central Michigan wrestling lead 12-9 after seven matches Friday night in Ann Arbor, but three consecutive losses boosted eighth-ranked Michigan to a 22-12 victory over the 19th-ranked Chippewas.

In front of a sold out Cliff Keen Arena crowd (1,800 capacity), CMU missed out on another opportunity to knock off a top 10-ranked team in a dual meet.

CMU is five days removed from a 26-9 defeat from the cream of the Mid-American Conference crop, unbeaten (9-0) No. 4 Missouri on Jan. 17, in McGuirk Arena.

“We knew the best part of their lineup was the upper-weights — especially from 184 (pounds) and up,” said Head Coach Tom Borrelli. “We kind of had to win the dual meet from down below (at the lower weight classes) and we were right in there, but it just didn’t happen.”

Borrelli said he thought his team was capable of winning at 125 pounds, 133 pounds and 149 pounds, but sophomore Brent Fleetwood, junior Corey Keener and redshirt sophomore Colin Heffernan couldn’t get the job done — the difference in the meet.

After falling early into a 6-0 deficit, senior and 16th-ranked 141-pounder Zach Horan gave CMU its first three points of the meet, beating George Fisher in a 3-1 decision.

CMU’s 10th-ranked 149-pounder Heffernan lost his second consecutive match this week to No. 6 Alec Pantaleo in a 10-4 Decision. Heffernan, a redshirt sophomore, lost to Missouri’s No. 3 Lavion Mayes in a 5-4 decision a week ago.

“I can’t be too upset,” Borrelli said. “He’s doing what we’re asking him to do — score points, attack and sometimes crazy stuff happens. At least he’s being the aggressor in the match.”

CMU went on to snap off three-straight decisions with victories from senior Lucas Smith at 157 pounds, sophomore Jordan Atienza at 165 pounds and senior Mike Ottinger at 174 pounds.

Fresh off a 3-2 decision over Missouri’s Le’Roy Barnes, No. 12 Smith picked up another big win over No. 5 Brian Murphy in a 5-4 decision.

Atienza picked up a much needed win after losing his last three dual meets, beating Garrett Sutton 7-3.

“He didn’t do anything differently, except he rode better tonight,” Borrelli said. “He was still taking the same shots and he ended up finishing his shots, but he really rode a lot better tonight.”

With the score 9-9 and coming off back-to-back meets of knocking off the ninth-ranked wrestler in his weight class, No. 9 Ottinger picked up another victory over a ranked opponent. This time he took down No. 14 Davonte Mahomes 8-4, giving CMU the 12-9 lead with three matches remaining.

However, Jordan Ellingwood (184), Jackson Lewis (197) and Newton Smerchek (285) all lost their matches to wrestlers ranked in the top 10 in each of the upper three weight classes.

Ellingwood and Smerchek both lost by technical fall, tallying the final score 22-12.

“The competition at that weight is very, very good,” Borrelli said. “It’s not like we aren’t competing. It’s just we’ve faced some talented, talented people.” 

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →