Board to highlight engineering in college name change

2016_106_033cst_kc_copy
Kaiti Chritz | Photo Editor A cement College of Science and Technology logo is located outside of the Dow Science Complex on Jan. 6. The college will be going under a name change to 'The College of Science and Engineering.'

Faculty of the College of Science and Technology voted 92-20 to change the name of the college to the College of Science and Engineering.

The decision was announced at an Academic Senate meeting Dec. 1. Ballots for the decision were due Nov. 18. The decision must be approved by the Board of Trustees. William Kanine, chair of the Board of Trustees, said the decision was discussed at the board meeting on Dec. 17 and a decision would likely be made at the board meeting scheduled for Feb. 18.

He said further discussions must be had by members of the academic body prior to a confirmed change.

Director of University Communications Steve Smith said the name change would be discussed more during the February meeting.

"It was not an action item on the board’s formal agenda (in December)," he said. "Before any change takes place, it will require formal board action at a future meeting."

The college has been referred to by the Engineering and Technology moniker since 1997. 

Ian Davison, dean of the College of Science and Technology, said the decision to change the name was made in order to give the engineering department more exposure. 

“Over the last decade we have developed strong undergraduate degrees in engineering that have grown rapidly to become some of the largest majors in the college,” he said.

In 2010, the number of authorized on-campus undergraduates for the mechanical engineering major was 60. In Fall 2015, the number for mechanical engineering major signings had increased to 223. 

“We have discovered that many people outside CMU (both potential students and employers) are unaware that CMU offers nationally-ranked ABET accredited engineering degrees," Davison said. "This is almost certainly because most universities that offer engineering highlight this in name of a college.”

According to abet.org, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology helps to provide "proof that a collegiate program has met standards essential to produce graduates ready to enter the critical fields of applied science, computing, engineering and engineering technology."

The website states graduation from an ABET accredited university is a prerequisite for many engineering licensing and certifying bodies and agencies.

While the issue of expense of the name change was brought up during the Dec. 1 meeting, Assistant Director of Public Relations Mackenzie Kastl said the costs would be minimal.

"It's mostly going to be in some smaller print materials," she said.

Kanine said the changes will be primarily be on internal documents and diplomas. He doesn't anticipate any type of name change until further discussions are had in February.