Gymnastics rolls to victories in first two meets

gymnastics_13_072
Junior Kirstin Stambaugh competes on floor on Jan. 3, 2015 at the opening meet against Temple University. The Chippewas beat Temple 193.425 to 188.900.

During the winter break, the Central Michigan gymnastics team began its 30th season under Head Coach Jerry Reighard. The Chippewas won both of their meets and showed large improvements over the course of the two weeks.

CMU is back at home at 7 p.m. Friday against BYU.

Jan. 8: Central Michigan 193.6, Wisconsin-Whitewater 186.7, Wisconsin Eau Claire 184.375, Winona State 183.525 

A dominant performance led to the Chippewas' second victory in a row, as they topped against Division III opponents Eau Claire, Winona State and Wisconsin-Whitewater with an overall score of 193.6.

Contrary to the previous meet against Temple, the balance beam proved to be the strongest event for CMU, as the team boasted the highest event score of the day with a 48.750, a full 1.575-point jump.

"We're trying to find where the confidence ingredient is going to be in the beam team, and I think we're getting close," said Head Coach Jerry Reighard.

Vault, uneven bars and floor were consistent with scores of 47.975, 48.550 and 48.325 respectively.

Freshman Kasey Janowicz picked up her second all-around title scoring 38.625.

Jan. 3: Central Michigan 193.425, Temple 188.9

CMU opened the season at McGuirk Arena as the defending Mid-American Conference regular season champions and handily defeated Temple 193.425-188.9 in the first meet of the season.

Early in warmups, senior Kiki Petzold sustained a career-ending injury that prevented her from competing.

Temple was dominated by CMU in every event except but the balance beam, where a few slip ups caused the score to drop to 47.125. 

"We were very upset with the beam performances," Reighard said. "A lot of falls, but even with the falls, they were scoring 9.2s and 9.3s."

Janowicz picked up her first collegiate All-Around victory as with a total score of 38.925.