New restaurant, field turf among summer projects

2016_106_036cst_kc
Kaiti Chritz | Photo Editor Construction continues on the Biosciences Building, Jan. 6, on the campus of Central Michigan University. The building is scheduled to be completed in September of 2016 and classes are expected to be help in the building starting January of 2017.

The installation of a new Burrito Bowl restaurant in the Bovee University Center this summer has the possibility of drawing more student attention to the building.

The new restaurant, which is budgeted at $236,000, is one of several construction projects set to begin this summer, said director of retail operations Julie Burgan. The restaurant will be an easy switch-out of another undisclosed restaurant, replacing countertop areas, millwork, some equipment, and the resurfacing of the walls, ceiling and floors.

“The Burrito Bowl could offer more on-campus jobs and awareness of the opportunities at the UC, but it also could add more noise to those that use the UC for their studies,” said Trenton sophomore Michele Renaud. “We also already have something similar in the Down Under, so it’s a bit irrelevant.” 

Other projects include new LED light fixtures and new fieldturf for the Kelly/Shorts Stadium. According to the university's 2015-16 operating budget, Facilities Management has a budget of almost $40 million,

The $95 million Bioscience Building, which is scheduled to be completed in September, will continue construction toward competition over the summer. Equipment will be moved from Brooks Hall to the new building. Drywall installation will be completed in addition to electrical, plumbing and flooring. Walls will also be painted and ceilings, exterior sidewalks and landscaping will be installed.

The two-year, approximately $10.8 million Grawn Hall renovation project will begin this summer. The renovation includes will add 6,600 square feet to the building for a collaboration area, an expansion of the first floor, the integration of the first and second floors, a cafe and study rooms.

"It's exciting to see that the school is taking a proactive step when it comes to updating the oldest building on campus. Although I won't get to experience the upcoming changes to Grawn Hall since I will be graduating this May, I look forward to visiting the building as an (alumna)," said Spring Lake senior Georgiana Klem. "(Renovations) will help bring modern architecture to campus for one of the oldest and most beloved buildings."

Worn down turf at Kelly/Shorts Stadium will be replaced. The turf, which was installed in 2004, is tested every year. The decision to replace the turf came after a combination of declining test results, filament breakage and the overall age of the turf. The project is estimated to cost $620,000.

"We don't want to jeopardize safety by trying to get one more year out of the turf that has lasted as long as was initiailly expected when installed," said Associate Vice President of Facilities Management Steve Lawrence.

An additional athletic project includes the replacement of the Student Activity Center lockers, budgeted at $150,000. A total of 302 lockers will be replaced in the lower level of the SAC adjacent to the SAC pool. The work will be coordinated with the pool's $2 million renovations work scheduled for this summer.

Several new bike racks will be installed in various locations with the budget of $50,000. Cracked and chipped sidewalks also will be replaced. While this is an annual project, more repairs will take place this summer than usual, Lawrence said. The sidewalk project budget is $18,400.

“Some get broken. Some get frost heave, where they come up or down and don’t align anymore. We are going to do significant sidewalk replacement and repair,” he said.

Various university workers and a handful of students walk through campus to determine which locations might need better exterior lighting installed. With a budget of $14,300, the installation of LED lights is being considered for the summer exterior lighting project.

The staff cabins for the Biological Station located on Beaver Island will be repaired and insulated for those staying during the summer for research, budgeted at $365,000. 

For future project decisions, campus is being observed in an attempt to create a Student Life Master Plan that improves the living and learning communities including office, classroom, collaborative, recreation and wellness space.

The study includes looking at reducing the density in the Towers Complex and expanding transfer student housing. It also includes looking at possible facilities updates to coincide with residential community enhancements, like dining.

“For this study, we are looking at where we want to go with the next ten years with these things in mind,” Lawrence said. “We are just trying to plan for the future.”