Police investigate two cases of on-campus criminal sexual conduct

police

The Central Michigan University Police Department is investigating two cases of criminal sexual conduct that occurred on campus last week.

The first is a case of third degree criminal sexual conduct that occurred at midnight on Friday in Wheeler Hall. 

Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said no further information can be released at this time, and the investigation is still ongoing.

Third degree criminal sexual conduct is a felony defined as non-forcible criminal sexual penetration and carries a sentence of up to 15 years in prison. 

On Wednesday, an individual referred to as a “campus security authority” reported a case of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree that occurred Jan. 14 in Calkins Hall. The alleged victim told police she did not want to pursue criminal charges for the incident.

Fourth degree CSC is a misdemeanor that involves non-forcible sexual contact, and carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison and/or a fine of $500.

A “campus security authority” is defined by the Campus Safety and Security Act of 1991, or the Clery Act.  CSAs include resident advisers, hall staff, advisers for registered student organizations, and coaches, among others, Wassman said. If one of these individuals learns of a sexual assault incident from a student, they must report it to the university. However, cases will only be investigated by the university if the victim wishes.

Wassman said police are still required to determine what happened, but there will be no criminal investigation. 

The non-criminal investigation is required to determine that the individual has not committed other crimes. The investigation is included in annual statistics given to the U.S. Department of Education. 

No public record is kept detailing the investigation, and cannot be referenced if the accused is ever charged in a future case.