CMU wrestling loses to Iowa State, splits weekend trip in the state

Fans watch Central Michigan University's wrestling match against the University of Missouri in McGurick Arena, Sunday, January 17, 2016. 

The Central Michigan wrestling team entered the weekend with hopes of a sweep through the Hawkeye state, but came up with a split.

After beating Northern Iowa 22-11 on Friday, the Chippewas lost to No. 17 Iowa State 25-12 on Sunday.

No. 21 CMU (6-4, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) had to start the match down 6-0 after sophomore Brent Fleetwood (125-pound class) was forced to forfeit due to an injury.

“(Fleetwood) sprained his foot during his match on Friday and wasn’t able to go today,” said Head Coach Tom Borrelli.

The Cyclones increased their lead to 9-0 after junior Corey Keener (133) lost to Earl Hall 6-2. Keener was trailing by only a point late, but an escape and takedown by Hall put the match out of reach.

Senior No. 16 Zach Horan (141) got the Chippewas on the board with a 5-2 decision over Nathan Boston. Horan got off to an early lead with an initial takedown and reversal. A late escape won him the match and cut ISU’s lead down to 9-3.

Junior Justin Oliver (149) picked up a pinfall over Blayne Briceno to tie the meet at 9-9.

“It was a crazy first period, the kid came out and threw the kitchen sink at Justin. Justin weathered the storm and took him down to his back,” Borrelli said. “I think he got tired and Justin got him down for the pin.”

Central Michigan took the lead 12-9 after senior No. 8 Lucas Smith (157) earned a 9-7 decision over Renaldo Rodriguez. Smith started off the match with a takedown and a four-point nearfall to go up early. Rodriguez had a late takedown and escape, but it was not enough as CMU took its first lead heading into the intermission.

Right as the Chippewas had all the momentum, the tide turned back in favor of the Cyclones.

Iowa State took control and won the final five matches of the meet. Sophomore Jordan Attienza (165) lost a 9-3 decision to Tanner Weatherman to tie the match at 12. At 174 is where the Chippewas ultimately lost the meet as senior No. 9 Mike Ottinger lost to Lelund Weatherspoon 8-3. It was Ottinger’s first loss in seven matches.

Junior Jordan Ellingwood (184) lost a 5-2 decision to Dane Pestano followed by senior Jackson Lewis (197) losing a close 11-10 decision to Marcus Harrington. The match looked destined for overtime until Pestano earned an escape late in the third period.

Junior Newton Smerchek (heavyweight) lost the final match to Quean Smith in a 14-6 major decision.

“We did a good job of attacking their 65, 74 and 97 (pound wrestlers),” Borrelli said. “We were the ones attacking and taking the shots, but couldn’t finish.”

“We had a pretty emotional match on Friday and Iowa State (who had the night off) was there to scout us,” Borrelli said. “I think they gathered a good scouting report and they were ready for us.”

The Chippewas return to McGuirk Arena on Friday to face MAC rivals Eastern Michigan at 7 p.m. and Buffalo at 2 p.m. on Sunday.