UPDATE: Two students recovering from injuries after being hit by a car on Mission Street

Two students injured by a vehicle on Mission and Broomfield streets have been identified as Freeland senior Benjamin Dans and Roseville sophomore Richard Campbell Jr.

Dans' sister Catherine said he and Campbell were hit by a sedan on South Mission Street while walking home Friday night. Dans suffered a broken arm, leg, shoulder and major facial trauma. Both men were rushed to McLaren Central-Michigan. Dans was airlifted by helicopter to the Hurley Medical Center in Flint and admitted to the Neuro-Trauma ICU.

Campbell said he suffered some scrapes, bruised ribs and lungs, short-term memory loss and amnesia. He said he was released from McLaren Central-Michigan on Sunday afternoon.

Campbell said he and Dans were drinking at O'Kelly's Sports Bar and Grill before the accident and left around 11:30 p.m. 

"We went across the street to Burger King, ordered some food and then we tried to cross Mission," he said. "That obviously didn't end well."

On Sunday, Catherine said her brother responded to his name when taken off of sedation. On Monday she said he had been taken off his breathing tube and was eating regular food.

She said he had begun speaking and could not remember the accident, but otherwise his memory was unaffected. 

Catherine said her brother had finished all of his surgeries and that he would try to move around today. She said he should be out of the hospital by the end of the week. 

"The doctors said its a miracle, and he's really been blessed by God," she said

Officer Angela Brown of the Mount Pleasant Police Department said both men were taken by Mobile Medical Rescue via ambulance. Police received the 911 call at 11:57 p.m.

The driver of the vehicle, a 28 year-old Mount Pleasant man, said the two men were running across the street when the collision occurred. 

The driver was not arrested at the scene of the accident. He was allowed by police to leave with his vehicle after the scene was investigated. Officer Jeff Browne said the driver was not considered at fault and the investigation is still open.

Catherine said those wishing to send her brother flowers or gifts should send them to the Neuro Trauma ICU at the Hurley Medical center in Flint. 

Stay with Central Michigan Life for more on this story.