Pass the Aux Cord gets sexy: Valentines Day playlist

Kate's top five Valentine's Day songs

Whether you spent Valentine's Day treating yourself to some TLC or with a significant other, this playlist is a good mix of classic love songs, newer alternative and songs to carry on the feeling of love in your life. Other than just being love songs, this playlist can double as a "feel good" playlist if you need a pick-me-up or are having an off day.

1. Earned It - The Weeknd

Yes, this song is from the Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack, and yes it's still a great song, even if I get weird flashbacks of that horrible movie every time I hear it. All of the songs by The Weeknd have been huge hits after Abęl Makkonen Tesfaye came out of nowhere last summer with his album "Beauty Behind the Madness." I'm excited to listen to his next album and see what else he comes up with. The Weeknd is perfect club music but goes beyond being just a dance beat. This is my favorite song from the The Weeknd, and it doubles as a good song to listen to with a significant other as well.

2. I've Had the Time of My Life - Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes

I don't know how I almost forgot about this song when I was making my playlist. This iconic 80s ballad is famous for it's place in my favorite movie, Dirty Dancing. I honestly don't know if this would still be my favorite movie without this song in the finale. 

3. Stolen Dance - Milky Chance

Of course I had to put some alternative songs on my list, and I was obsessed with this song when it first came out two years ago. I would listen to it on loop all day during the summer, it's super easy to listen to. The lyrics are really sweet, too, if you take the time to listen to them. Flashed Junk Milk and Sweet Sun are some other good ones by this band — most of their songs sound pretty similar but they're all good.

4. First Date - Blink-182 

This will always be a classic that I'm pretty sure everyone can relate to. The state of this band will never be the same, but that doesn't mean I can't still reminisce on their classic songs that were the soundtrack of my middle school years. Never has getting ready for a first date been described so honestly and in such a fun way to jam out to than this song. 

5. All I Need - AWOLNATION 

I was surprised when I heard this song because the same guy who screams "blame it on my ADD baby!" can also sing this beautiful love song with minimal instrumental background. This song will always be one of my favorites, and it's one of AWOLNATION's most underrated, in my opinion.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →