SGA issues Candidate Eligibility Packets, talks election season

Candidate Eligibility Packets were released Monday at the Student Government Association meeting. The president, vice president, treasurer and all seats in the Senate are open in the fall.

Completed forms must be turned into the Elections Director Chris Bonnen no later than 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 in the SGA office. The office is located in the Bovee University Center 104G within the Student Involvement Center.

Packets can be picked up from the same location. Any student is eligible to run so long as they meet the minimum GPA requirements. A presidential and vice presidential candidate must have a minimum GPA of 3.0. A treasurer must have a minimum GPA of 2.7 and a Senator, a minimum of 2.0.

Official campaigning — announcing intent for running or collecting donations — cannot begin until after spring break. Once signatures are verified and all packets are turned in, students may begin campaigning. Failing to adhere to the "unofficial pre-campaign rules" can result in disqualification from the race, said Senate Leader Rebecca Detroyer. 

SGA President Chuck Mahone said students must understand the role they are running for if they want to be successful leaders.

"The thing I think people forget is, when you become (something like) Student Body President, you're not longer living as 'Chuck the Student,' you're living as 'Chuck the Student Body President,'" he said. "And what that title means is (unique to each) person, but you have to be cognizant of that."

Students wanting to run for SGA president must pick a vice presidential candidate prior to applying. They will run on one ticket together, called the "presidential ticket." Those interested in running for Senator or treasurer are able to run on their own tickets.

A minimum number of valid signatures is also required which support the candidate running for their position of choice. A presidential ticket must obtain 500 valid signatures, a treasurer 250 and a Senator 200. A signature is declared valid if it is signed on a candidate's petition form in blue or black ink and has a name and student ID number which denotes if the signer is a registered student at Central Michigan University.

While SGA knowledge is preferred when running for a high-standing position such as president, prior SGA experience is not required Mahone said.

"Anyone can do this (SGA) job, but they have to want to do it," Mahone said. "As long as you want it, you'll do a good job." 

An election's press conference will take place at 8 p.m. on Monday, March 14 in Anspach 162. The following Monday, the president/vice president debate will take place at 8 p.m. in the same room. Voting will be open to all students at CMU and available online from Monday, March 28 until the polls close on Friday, April 7.

Results will be announced at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, April 11 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →