Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders boast support for Flint

FLINT -- At last night's Democratic Debate, both candidates called for the resignation of Gov. Rick Snyder. 

Sen. Bernie Sanders and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton debated in Flint's Whiting Auditorium. With Michigan's primary election on March 8, both Sanders and Clinton took questions on Flint's water crisis, Detroit Public Schools and race relations.

On Flint

Clinton called for Snyder's resignation for the first time, saying she would "double and triple check" pipes and water if elected president. She agrees with what President Barack Obama is doing to help Flint.

Sanders addressed high water bills in Flint, say he pays less for clean water. He said the Center for Disease Control should examine every Flint resident to measure the affects of the water.

Both candidates pointed out America's "crumbling infrastructure."

On job security

Throughout the debate, candidates took questions from Flint residents. Some were concerned about the auto industry in the city. 

When Clinton talked manufacturing agreements, Sanders called her out for her agreements with the North American Free Trade Agreement and for opposing the Trans Pacific Partnership.

Clinton fired back, saying Sanders opposed the auto bailout that created or saved many jobs in Michigan. 

The candidates also debated on whether Export-Import bank should be renewed. Sanders has been the only Democrat to voice opposition on this issue, saying the bank serves large corporations.

On Clinton's past

Clinton was called into question when asked why she won't release speeches she paid to give to Wall Street organizations. Sanders accused her of hiding these speeches from the public.

Clinton said she would release anything she needed to. Sanders said he doesn't give speeches to Wall Street for "hundreds of thousands of dollars."

On gun control

In light of a recent shooting in Kalamazoo, the father of a young girl shot in the spree asked candidates what gun control laws they would push for, noting that he didn't want to hear excuses about mental health background checks. The shooter did not have any mental health issues, police say.

Sanders pointed out his support for immunity from lawsuits for gun sellers, saying they shouldn't be held accountable if the gun was legally sold.

Clinton said she was in favor of stricter background checks.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →