Office of Institutional Diversity to receive $75,000 funding increase

logo

The Office of Institutional Diversity received an additional increase of $75,000 in funding, effective at the start of the 2016-17 fiscal year.

This will be the first time since 2010 that the office has received a funding increase.

Funding will predominantly go toward Native American Programs and the Office of LGBTQ Services, said Carolyn Dunn, associate vice president of the Office of Institutional Diversity.

Funding will not be allocated to the different departments until the beginning of July.

Director of LGBTQ Services Shannon Jolliff-Dettore said in the eight years she has worked at the office, LGBTQ Services has never received a funding increase. While she does not know how much of the funding the office will get, Jolliff-Dettore said it will be used for hiring speakers and hosting events.

“(Getting the funding increase) makes us feel validated, and that the work the office does matters,” she said. “It lets us know providing these educational opportunities to students, faculty and staff matters to the institution.”

Multicultural Academic Student Services the Office of Diversity Education and several grant programs in the office will also receive a funding increase.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →