Legislation passed in SGA Senate calling for Gender Equity Center

Several pieces of legislation were unanimously passed in the Senate at tonight's Student Government Association meeting.

A resolution to have classes taught by graduate students and teaching assistants listed as such on the Central Michigan online course registration page, a resolution in support of the creation of a Gender Equity Center and a resolution to establish a short-term military absence policy were passed tonight.

The same pieces were passed in the House as well, but with amendments. Because of this, joint committees will meet this Sunday at 9 p.m. to discuss the changes made and vote again on the combine opinions of the House and Senate.

The resolution in support of the creation of a Gender Equity Center was initially passed in the 2013-14 school year and has not seen headway since.

"We want to show to administration (the creation of a Gender Equity Center) is still at the forefront of student concern," said SGA Senate Leader Rebecca Detroyer. "We are still very passionate about this despite there being a two year pause in SGA discussion."

Detroyer took part in penning the bill her freshman year and has since received support from others including vice presidential hopeful Jazmin Bierand and Kai Niezgoda, co-president of Students Advocating for Gender Equality.

The purpose of the legislation, Detroyer said, is to increase awareness and understanding of issues pertaining to gender inequalities and the societal dynamics in place that continue to encourage gender inequality.

"The CMU Gender Equity Center would facilitate discussions on gender issues which enrich the educational, research and creative climate on campus," the legislation states. "Such a center would also encourage dialogue that would challenge the traditional notions of diversity, provide information and referral support services on gender-related issues and provide support to the campus and broader Mount Pleasant community on gender and family issues."

Detroyer said she isn't aware why a finalized decision hasn't been made by administration on the creation of the center, but hopes a consensus will be reached soon.

Amendments were also made to SGAs constitution and bylaws for the Diversity Committee, Academic Affairs Committee, Student Budget Allocation Committee and several others.

These amendments were tabled indefinitely in the house so that house representatives can discuss the proposed changes outside of SGA, said Evan Wittenbach, house representative for Larzelere Hall.

Wittenbach stood in for House Leader Andrew Zyrowski, who is away at a Model United Nations conference.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →