Woman struck by car crossing Washington Street and Bellows Street

A woman was struck by a vehicle at the intersection of Washington and Bellows Streets on March 16. Police received a 911 call at 3:21 p.m. and arrived on the scene before 3:30 p.m.

Lieutenant Mike Dunham of the Mount Pleasant Fire Department said the woman was found on the ground when he arrived on the scene. She was alive and transported to McLaren-Central Hospital for minor injuries.

The incident was not a hit and run said Michael Garcia Covarrubias, an officer with the Mount Pleasant Police Department. The driver was not taken into custody.

"It was just an accident so we let him go," Garcia Covarrubias said.

Neither she nor the driver of the vehicle has been identified at this time.

St. Johns senior Andrew Mullikin was not a witness to the accident, but lives on the corner where the woman was struck. He said the city should do something about the pedestrian and car traffic, as Mullikin believes more accidents like this are waiting to happen.

"I think that (the city) needs to put something up like a stop sign because it's just one of the worst areas for (people to cross the street)," Mullikin said. "I've been going here for four years and I've always thought that."

Contributions to this article were made by Assistant Sports Editor Andrew Surma.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →