Women's basketball receives postseason bid to WNIT, will host IUPUI Thursday

Although the Central Michigan women’s basketball team didn’t win the Mid-American Conference Tournament, the team will still get a chance to play this postseason.

The Chippewas (22-10) will take on IUPUI in the first round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament (WNIT) on Thursday at McGuirk Arena. This is CMU's fourth appearance in the WNIT.

CMU lost to IUPUI 72-66 in the first round of the 2014 WNIT. The Chippewas have never won a postseason game outside of the MAC Tournament in school history.

The Jaguars are 20-10 overall and finished 11-5 in the Summit League. IUPUI lost 62-51 to Nebraska-Omaha in the quarterfinals of the Summit League tournament.

The winner will play either Northwestern or San Diego in the second round. The complete WNIT bracket can be viewed here.

The WNIT is a postseason tournament similar to the NCAA Tournament. It comprises of 64 teams with all 32 Division I conferences receiving one automatic berth and 32 teams receiving at-large bids from the WNIT selection committee.

Each game of the tournament will be played on the higher seeded teams home floor with the first round opening March 16-18, followed by round two (March 19-22), round three (March 23-25), round four (March 26-28), the semifinals (March 30-31) and the championship at 3 p.m. Saturday, April 2 on CBS Sports Network.

CMU entered the MAC tournament as the No. 2 seed, but fell to No. 8 Buffalo 73-71 in overtime in the MAC Championship Game on Saturday.

Tickets will be general admission and are $8 for adults and $6 for children and seniors. CMU students admitted for free with a student ID.