Questions loom after Jesse Owens Memorial Meet

main_trackk
Courtesy Photo | Athletic Communications Head Track Coach Mark Guthrie congratulates High-jumper Matt Mueller on January 15, 2015. Muller jumped 1.9 meters at the Gibson Invitational this weekend.

Going into the Jesse Owens Memorial Meet, Head Coach Mark Guthrie said the meet will be indicative of the coming championships.

“This is a little bit of a dress rehearsal for the championship meet," he said. "If they can’t do it (at OSU), the (Mid-American Conference) meet probably isn’t going to go very well.”

After this weekend's meet in Columbus — which included MAC opponents Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Akron and Buffalo — the results left the coaching staff wanting more from the athletes.

“I thought overall it was a B-, C+ performance,” Guthrie said. “We had some A efforts, some Bs, Cs, Ds and a couple Fs. Some of the issues are mental rather than physical, (such as) being able to function in a high stress environment.”

Big Ten schools Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State also competed.

“I don’t think we really hurt ourselves, but you’re always looking to be great every time,” Guthrie said. “We've got to be able to go with those guys and not be afraid of them. In some areas, we are as good as they are and we need to be able to demonstrate that.”

CMU also sent senior distance runners Nate Ghena and Kelly Schubert, as well as sophomore Kirsten Olling to the Virginia Challenge to run in the 10K race.

Ohio State results

— Freshman Samantha Cuneo finished in second place in the women’s 400-meter dash with a time of 54.78 seconds.

— The men’s 4x400 meter relay team (3:11.17) finished in second place behind Eastern Michigan.

— Freshman Jake Peister (15.08 meters) took second place in the men’s triple jump, just .4 meters behind the winner.

— Junior Melvin Harris (2.08 meters) took third place in the men’s high jump, followed by teammate senior Matt Mueller in ninth (1.93 meters).

— Sophomore Sam Wagner finished in fourth in the men’s pole vault with a jump of 4.80 meters.

— Junior Ziemowit Dutkiewicz (52.44) took fourth place in the men’s 400-meter hurdles.

— Senior Devene Brown took fourth place in the women’s shot put with a throw of 15.41 meters and fifth in the women’s discus (45.42 meters).

— The men’s 4x100 meter relay team finished in fifth place with a time of 42.24 seconds. The Eastern Michigan relay team and Miami (Ohio) relay team finished in first and fourth, respectively.

— Senior Tina Davis (24.30) took sixth place in the women’s 200-meter dash. Davis also finished in ninth in the women’s 100-meter dash with a time of 11.82 seconds.

— Junior Dylan Banagis finished in sixth place in the men’s discus with a throw of 53.39 meters.

— Senior Cole Walderzak took sixth place in the men’s hammer throw with a toss of 64.71 meters.

— Junior Kylee Dobbelaere finished in sixth place in the women’s hammer throw with a toss of 57.30 meters.

— Freshman Benjamin Hayes (48.70) and sophomore Erick Huertas (48.73) finished in seventh and eighth place, respectively, in the men’s 400-meter dash.

— Sophomore jumper Rebekah Petty took eighth place in women’s pole vault with a jump of 3.80 meters.

— Junior Kelsey Ross finished in ninth in the women’s 800 meter run with a time of 2:12.

— Sophomore Berkley Edwards finished in 10th place in the men’s 100-meter dash with a time of 10.68, only .01 seconds off of the MAC qualifying standard.

Senior Diavonte Smith (6.96 meters) finished in 10th place in the men’s long jump.

Virginia results

Schubert finished in tenth place with a time of 34:48.04.

Ghena (29:59.42) and Olling (35:03.02) both finished in 14th in their respective races.