CMU soccer announces new assistant coach

img_1491

Central Michigan women's soccer gets pumped up for their game on Oct. 23, 2015 at Bennett Soccer Field

Heather Cato, a former Division II and Division III soccer head coach, has been named an assistant coach for Central Michigan soccer.

Cato was the head coach at Rodgers State in Oklahoma for the last two seasons. The Hillcats were 3-14 overall and 3-5 in the Heartland Conference during Cato's first season as head coach.

Former Assistant Coach Joe Nemzer left in January to become the head coach at Mount St. Mary's.

She was also the head coach of Whitman College from 2010-13. She was the assistant goalkeeping coach/recruiting coordinator at Arkansas-Little Rock from 2001-03.

"We're very excited to have Heather join our Chippewa soccer family," said Head Coach Peter McGahey to cmuchippewas.com. "Her energy and passion for developing the whole student-athlete are directly in line with our program's missions and values."

Cato will be coaching the goalies and attacking players on the field. Off the field, she will handle recruiting, video coordination, scouting and scheduling.

She earned her bachelor of arts degree from Arkansas and a master of arts degree from Arkansas-Little Rock. While attending Arkansas from 1996-99, she started all four years on the women's soccer team and was a part of the U.S. Women's National U-20 Team. 

She had 24 career goals as a Razorback, which ranks seventh on the all-time scorers list at Arkansas.