Softball earns first MAC win, splits Friday doubleheader with Akron

The Central Michigan softball team earned its first win in Mid-American Conference play today when it split a doubleheader against Akron at Margo Jonker Stadium.

After falling in game one, CMU secured a 5-0 victory behind sophomore pitcher Hanna Warren.

“Warren pitched extremely well, it was probably the best of her career,said Head Coach Margo Jonker.

Warren finished the game with three strikeouts while allowing five hits and no runs in seven innings pitched.

Senior CarolAnn Sexauer hit a two-run home run in the fourth inning of game two, bringing her total for the season to five. Sexauer was one of two Chippewas with multiple hits during the contest.

“She’s a great player both defensively and offensively with excellent power from the plate, so she’s a key to our team,” Jonker said.

Sophomore Lacy Tolfree added two hits with an RBI and sophomore Sydney Heath had one hit and RBI to round out the scoring.

Jonker said CMU’s defense came in clutch for the Chippewas to help them secure the first conference win of the year.

“We played great defense today," Jonker said. "(Katelyn) Rentschler had a great play in the first game, Chelsea (DeLamielleure) had a few great plays at second in the first one and CarolAnn (Sexauer) had a great reaction on the last play of the game."

Game one

CMU suffered its fifth consecutive loss in game one of the doubleheader, where it fell 3-0. The Chippewas collected two hits against Akron’s Erin Seiler, who struck out six batters in seven shutout innings.

Junior pitcher Rachael Knapp took the loss, allowing three runs on seven hits over seven innings of work. She struck out nine batters.

Tolfree and freshman Allison Curtis each singled in the first inning, but were unable to score. Seiler did not allow a hit for the rest of the game and only allowed five base runners on the day.

“(Seiler) was controlling us with really good location and movement on the curve and the screw, and we weren’t able to get the barrel on the ball very well,” Jonker said.

After Friday’s split, the Chippewas sit at 14-17 (1-4 MAC), and will face Akron again at Margo Jonker Stadium. First pitch has been moved to 11 a.m. due to weather.