Head softball coach's recruiting sales pitch attracts players to Mount Pleasant

In the midst of Mid-American Conference play, the Central Michigan softball team is continuously working toward the postseason. But for the coaching staff, work stretches beyond the 2016 season.

Head Coach Margo Jonker has been a part of the recruiting process for 28 years. Jonker said she and her staff know what they're looking for when looking for potential recruits. 

"We look for athletic ability and skill set first, then we immediately go to their GPA," Jonker said. "If we are looking at a position player, we want speed and power. If we are looking at a pitcher or catcher, we want someone who has a skill set at those positions." 

Unlike professional sports, college athletes chose which school they want to play for, turning the job of a college coach into a part-time salesperson for their program.

While a high school player must prove they're worthy of a scholarship, it is up to the coach to persuade them to come to their school. 

More Recruiting: Moving to Michigan: Tisdale uses past experience to recruit lacrosse players from across North America

The sales pitch

One of the biggest selling points CMU uses during recruiting visits is the program’s player development. 

Under Jonker, the team has had seven MAC Player of the Year award winners, two MAC Pitcher of the Year awards, six MAC Freshman of the Year awards and seven MAC Tournament Most Valuable Player awards. 

“From the moment you get here, we work you really hard,” Jonker said. “Just look at a player like CarolAnn (Sexauer) and the numbers she’s putting up this season."

California senior Katelyn Rentschler — who is the highest-ranked recruit on the roster — was the MAC Player of the Year in 2015. Jonker said the senior bought into the program from day one and trusted the coaching staff when asked to make a position change during her sophomore season.

“Katelyn has always been a great athlete and she has developed into a great ball player," Jonker said. "She made the transition from catcher to first base and it has really paid off." 

CMU's facilities are another key selling point. Since 2008, Margo Jonker Stadium has undergone more than $250,000 in renovations, which includes a new backstop, batting cages and locker room.

The stadium infield also features a new playing surface called hilltopper stabilizer. The surface — made from lava and crushed rock — allows for more of a true bounce and prevents injuries compared to older surfaces.

It is also something in-state rivals Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan do not have. 

“Our facilities are outstanding here at CMU. I think the indoor facility is very unique in that, different sports like football and lacrosse and baseball can all share it,” Jonker said. “Our stadium is great because it seats so many people and it’s very relaxing and welcoming for fans.”

Heading west    

Jonker has made recruiting in Michigan her top priority. Of the 26 players on the roster, 23 are from Michigan.

“You can see (in-state recruits) more often and you have a reputation with them and you know what you’re getting, versus an out of state player, we don’t get to see them as much,” Jonker said.   

While the team has easier access to in-state recruits, the coaching staff tries to see players from other states. At the end of each season, the staff journeys west to watch players from across the country. 

"We are on the road a lot during the summer, so we'll head out to California and we'll go to Colorado for tournaments there," Jonker said. "A lot of teams from Michigan go. It's perfect because we can see players not just from out west, but here as well and see how they all match up." 

The coaching staff discovered freshman right fielder Allison Curtis at a tournament in California the summer before her sophomore year of high school. After coming out for a camp the next year, Curtis fell in love with Central Michigan and gave her verbal commitment.  

“I was set on going far from home. I loved the small-campus feel and how it's a big campus, but a small-campus feel," Curtis said. "I felt relaxed here and it felt like family. The coaches made me feel welcome."

While Curtis waited to make her decision, Jonker said other high school players rush their verbal commitments and don't always honor them, something she disagrees with. 

“I like going and talking with players, but I don’t like how players commit so early in the process,” Jonker said. “I think we should give them more time to make up their minds, but it is what everyone is doing. There’s not much you can do to change it.”