Editorial: Greeks deserve praise for philanthropy efforts

One of the things members of Central Michigan University’s Greek community do better than anything else is raise money for charity.

Last week, students who belong to 31 of CMU’s fraternities and sororities participated in the most robust philanthropic efforts on campus each year.

This seven-day period known as “Greek Week” culminated in a friendly inter-fraternity dance completion: Mock Rock.

At Saturday’s Spring Football Game, it was announced that these Chippewas had raised $67,577.65, surpassing their goal of $55,000.

This year’s fundraiser benefits the Derrick Nash Foundation. We could not think of a more appropriate cause to give to.

Nash was a football player for CMU who passed away in June at age 20 after battling leukemia since his senior year of high school. The foundation, started by his family, pays medical bills for families of acute or chronically-ill children.

This quote from Head football coach John Bonamego shows the meaning Greek Week can have on a person’s life:

“The money they were able to raise this week through Greek Week that’s going to the Nash Foundation is something very near and dear to my heart and our football team. We know Derrick’s parents are very appreciative and I just want to send a special thank you out to that group. It’s a job well done and we appreciate that very much.”

Greek Week has been growing in participation and fundraising for years.

During Greek Week 2015, students raised more than $50,000 and donated it to the Angel Wings Fund.

That fund was started in honor of Keisha Brown, the late wife of CMU Director of Student Activities and Involvement, Damon Brown.

We applaud the CMU Greek community for continually raising the standard for philanthropy and picking relevant charities to support.

According to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, only four percent of United States federal funding is solely dedicated to childhood and early adult cancer research.

We must rely on one another to beat cancer.

The best philanthropy is grassroots. Nash’s importance to the CMU community multiplies the avenues for fundraising and increased the likelihood of surpassing the fundraising goal.

Community service is a large part of the overall place Greek organizations have in the CMU community.

Many of CMU’s fraternities and sororities participate in philanthropic efforts throughout the year like an annual effort to clean Mount Pleasant city streets.

Efforts like these are based in the core values of leadership, community service and academic success, values that are all promoted by Greek organizations.

The power of these values have when acted upon were put on full display last week. It is good to see Greeks care about this community and have the organizational skills to pull off one of the biggest student-run fundraisers of the year.

Greeks benefit the campus community in ways few other organizations do.

And you don’t have to be wearing letters across your chest to see that.