Renzi's one-hitter helps Chippewas secure game one victory over Ohio in Athens

With the school year at its end, the Central Michigan baseball team has three weeks left to make a push for a higher seed in the Mid-American Conference Tournament. 

The Chippewas (13-32, 7-9 MAC) traveled to Athens, Ohio on Friday to begin a three-game series with the Ohio Bobcats (20-24, 5-11 MAC).

Despite walking six batters, senior right-hander Sean Renzi pitched eight innings for CMU and gave up two unearned runs en route to Chippewa victory on Friday night at Bob Wren Stadium. Renzi (5-5, 4.48 ERA) gave up just one hit during his eighth start of the season and has won three of his last four starts.

The score was 2-0 at the end of the first inning with zero Bobcat hits. Ohio’s two runs came in the first inning after a dropped fly ball by sophomore left fielder Daniel Jipping allowed one runner to score. Renzi made an error prior to that with a wild throw on a sacrifice bunt attempt by Ohio second baseman Ty Black. 

CMU went on to score eight straight runs from the third inning through the seventh, including two runs in the third inning, two in the fourth and two more in the sixth. 

Freshman center fielder Dazon Cole led the Chippewas with three hits and an RBI. Junior first baseman Alex Borglin also had two hits, a run scored and two RBIs.

The Chippewas and Bobcats will face off in game two of the three game series tomorrow at 11 a.m. Junior left-hander Nick Deeg will start on the mound for CMU.