Rapid Reaction: CMU 10, WMU 3

Chippewas force game two against Broncos in MAC Tournament semifinals

With two of their usual starters out for the Mid-American Conference Tournament semifinal game against the Western Michigan Broncos, the Central Michigan Chippewas had to make a few changes to their lineup on Saturday morning.

Despite the late changes, CMU defeated the Broncos 10-3 in the semifinals of the MAC Tournament. Now that both teams are even with one loss in the tournament, they will play again today at 4:30 p.m. to determine who advances to the championship.

Senior outfielder Ryan Heeke was drilled in the face with a pitch in the first inning of Friday’s win against Miami (Ohio) and was taken to the hospital. He suffered several broken bones in his face, along with a broken nose. Sophomore Daniel Jipping started in left field in place of Heeke.

Freshman pitcher/outfielder Dazon Cole was checked into a hospital Friday night and was tested for dehydration. Cole was expected to start on Saturday morning, but freshman Michael Brettell took the mound for CMU. Freshman David Cole started in center field, which is Dazon’s typical position.

Striking early and often

CMU scored another first inning run on an RBI-ground out by freshman right fielder Daniel Robinson. They plated two more in the second inning thanks to a throwing error by WMU starting pitcher Derek Schneider and an RBI-sacrifice bunt by freshman second baseman Jason Sullivan.

The Chippewas added to their lead in the third inning on a sacrifice fly by junior catcher Robert Greenman. In the fifth inning, Greenman hit an RBI-single that brought home sophomore DH Colton Bradley.

Effective pitching and defense for CMU

Through three innings of work, Brettell threw just 32 pitches. The fourth inning saw Brettell allow a WMU runner to get into scoring position. After a walk, a passed ball and a wild pitch, the Bronco runner advanced to third base. Brettell worked out of it with a strikeout to end the inning.

The Broncos loaded the bases with two outs in the fifth inning on two hit batters and a walk. The Broncos then hit into an inning-ending fielder’s choice thanks to a hustling and quick play by sophomore shortstop Zach McKinstry.

Brettell finished with one unearned run on one hit and four walks in 6 1/3 innings pitched. He struck out three batters on 90 pitches.

Fielding errors by WMU

The Broncos had the lowest amount of errors in the MAC during the regular season, but had early defensive miscues to allow Chippewas to score.

David Cole hit an infield single to leadoff the second inning. Senior third baseman Morgan Oliver attempted to sacrifice David over to second base, but it did more than that. WMU’s pitcher airmailed it over the first baseman’s head, allowing David to score and Oliver to advance to third base. Sullivan then hit an RBI sacrifice ground out to score Oliver.

WMU continued its defensive woes in the third inning. Robinson was able to lead-off the inning by getting on base after an error by the Bronco’s first baseman. Robinson later scored thanks to an RBI-sacrifice fly by Greenman.

A fourth error by the Broncos came in the seventh inning. Sullivan attempted to steal second base, but WMU catcher Mitchell Ho overthrew the ball into center field. The overthrow allowed junior first baseman Borglin to score from third base.