Morning Sun relocates to Alma, leaving vacancy at Commerce Center

After decades of being headquartered in Mount Pleasant, the Morning Sun newspaper opened its new office Monday in Alma.

The Digital First Media publication relocated to downtown Alma, 311 E. Superior St., leaving more than 10,000 square feet of converted warehouse office space vacant in The Commerce Center at 711 W. Pickard Road.

The Commerce Center owner Sam Staples said company officials notified him two weeks ago of its May 16 departure. He said the newspaper plans to honor its remaining lease agreement — which Staples said does not end for "a while."

The Daily Times News changed its name to the Morning Sun on March 5, 1977. Staples purchased The Commerce Center, a 128,000 square foot building, in 1987. The Morning Sun became tenants in 1992.

Digital First Media Michigan Group Vice President of News Don Wyatt declined comment for this story. 

Morning Sun News Editor Rick Mills said he could not comment on the company's change of office location.

The Morning Sun will use the Commerce Center for distribution.

Staples said interested tenants can call 989-772-1400 for more information on The Commerce Center.

Digital First Media and Morning Sun contacts:

• Jeannie Parent, Publisher, MiPublisher@digitalfirstmedia.com
  • Tammy Fisher, Sales and Marketing Director, 989-463-6071
  • Don Wyatt, Vice President of News - Michigan Group, 248-745-4587
  • Rick Mills, Local News Editor, 989-779-6003

Digital First Media is the second largest newspaper company in the United States by circulation, with an audience of over 40 million readers each month. It owns 67 daily newspapers and 180 non-daily publications. Digital First Media and MediaNews Group are owned by Alden Global Capital, a New York hedge fund that tried to sell Digital First in 2014.

Digital First Media recently acquired the Orange County Register and Riverside Press-Enterprise in California, according to the Los Angeles Times. Those who follow media transactions believe Alden will integrate those papers into its other operations and cut costs. Alden will likely seek another buyer for Digital First Media in the near future.

"They'll look for the exits as fast as possible," Lloyd Greif, chief executive of investment bank Greif & Co told the L.A. Times. "They're not long-term holders."

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →