Track teams prepare for MAC Championship with meet at Toledo

img_9553

Long sprint runners practice on March 30 at the CMU outdoor track.

With just a week left until the Mid-American Conference Championship, the Toledo Invitational was the last chance for members of Central Michigan's track team to automatically qualify for the conference championship meet.

Central Michigan only took 16 athletes to Toledo on May 5 and 6, nine women and seven men. Of those 16, junior Ziemowit Dutkiewicz, in the 400 meter run, was CMU's only athlete who improved his time to qualify for the MAC Championship.

With the addition of Dutkiewicz, CMU has 27 athletes — 13 men and 14 women — who are automatically qualified for the Championship, which is set to begin on May 12. The only event CMU does not have any athletes qualified for is the 1500 meter run.

The MAC Championships are being held in Toledo at the same facility that held the Toledo Invite.

Monica Bradburn | Central Michigan Life

Sophomore Malik Vasquez runs during practice on March 30 at the CMU outdoor track.

Results:

Dutkiewicz won the men’s 400 meter with his time of 47.46 seconds.

Senior Tina Davis won the women’s 100-meter dash with a time of 11.92 seconds followed by teammate senior Dejanae Terry in fourth with her time of 12.56 seconds.

Sophomore Shane Moffo won the men’s 110-meter hurdles (14.42 seconds) barely edging out Eastern Michigan’s senior Solomon Simmons by .02 seconds.

Freshman Gabriella Beauvais took second place (5.64 meters) in the women’s long jump. Fellow freshman Kyra Harrison finished in seventh place with a jump of 5.40 meters.

Freshman Jake Peister finished in second place in the men’s triple jump with a jump of 14.76 meters.

Junior Shaya Wilkerson took second place in the women’s triple jump (11.34 meters). Wilkerson also finished in fourth in the women’s high jump with her jump of 1.55 meters.

Senior Matt Mueller took second place in the men’s high jump with a jump of 2.00 meters.

Junior Tony Armstrong finished in third (4.70 meters) in the men’s pole vault and teammate junior Nicholas Malliaras finished in ninth (2.76 meters).

Sophomore Ali Taha took third (6.80 meters) in the men’s long jump and Malliaras took sixth (6.62 meters).

Freshman Igeoma Agomo finished in fourth in the women’s triple jump with a jump of 10.73 meters.

Sophomore April Micheaux took fifth (14.81 seconds) in the women’s 100-meter hurdles followed by freshman Danielle Horton in seventh (15.28 seconds). Micheaux also took sixth (5.52 meters) in the women’s long jump.

Sophomore Amber Wagner finished in fifth place (3.51 meters) in the women’s pole vault.