Board of Trustees to vote on $490 million operating budget, baseball performance complex at Tuesday meeting

boardoftrust_rd_01
The Board of Trustees' members listen to an attendee speak during their meeting at the Bovee University Center, Friday, April 29, 2016.

Central Michigan University's Board of Trustees will meet Tuesday for the third time in 2016.

The meeting begins at 10:30 a.m. in the Lake Superior Room of the Bovee University Center. The board last met on April 29.

The foremost item on Tuesday's agenda, said Senior Associate Director of Public Relations Heather Smith, is the board's action on the 2016-17 operating budget.

The more than $490 million budget is a $9 million increase from 2015-16.

Here's the full budget, which will be presented to the board by Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services Barrie Wilkes:

The board will also take action on the proposed baseball performance complex introduced at the April meeting.

The 7,000 square-foot facility, which will be built adjacent to the team's current clubhouse and bullpens, was made possible by a $500,000 anonymous matching donation announced on Sep. 28.

The donor additionally pledged another $500,000, to match other donations to the training facility dollar for dollar, totaling $1.5 million. The donation is the largest monetary commitment in the program’s history and one of the largest in athletic department history. The facility will be paid for entirely with donated funds.

Executive Vice President and Provost Michael Gealt and Vice President of Enrollment and Student Services Steven Johnson will present the university's graduation and retention rates.

The board will also be introduced to a resolution proposed by President George Ross to appoint local business owner and city commissioner Jim Holton, Wilkes and Ian Davison, dean of the College of Science and Engineering to the Central Michigan University Research Corporation Board of Directors.

The Central Michigan University Research Corporation bylaws state that at least three directors shall be employed in the private sector of the economy. A majority of the directors (including the president of CMU, who serves ex officio) shall be CMU administrators or trustees. The board consists of up to 15 directors.

If the resolution is adopted, the private sector directors will be Jim Holton, Bill Kimbell, Mike Rehberg and Nancy Ridley. 

The CMU directors will be Trustee Robert F. Wardrop II, President George Ross, Vice President Kathy Wilbur, Vice President Barrie Wilkes, Dean Charles Crespy, Interim Vice President David Ash and Dean Ian Davison.

For the full agenda, go here.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →