3rd annual Craft Beer Festival returns to Mount Pleasant on Saturday with addition of wine tasting

img_0645

A volunteer pours a beer sample for an attendee at the 2015 Mount Pleasant Craft Beer Festival.

For the first time in the event's history, breweries from across Michigan will be joined by wineries at the 3rd annual Mount Pleasant Craft Beer Festival on Saturday.

The festival, hosted by the Mount Pleasant Jaycees, returns to Downtown Mount Pleasant's "Jockey Alley" at the corner of Main and Mosher Streets this weekend.

Festival organizer Rachel Blizzard said this year's goal was to diversify the festival's drink selections. In addition to breweries that produce IPAs and stouts, Blizzard said this year's festival will also feature meads and ciders. The newest addition to the festival, she said, is wine. 

"The feedback from the first festival was everyone wanted more ciders, so we added more ciders," Blizzard said. "The feedback last year was everyone wanted wine, so we said 'why not.' We try to cater to our patrons. It's a philanthropic event. We want people coming and being happy about being there and giving back to the community."

All 30 breweries and wineries coming to the festival are located in Michigan, Blizzard said.

"The number one thing about this is it's truly a community event," she said. "This is not a beer tent. This is a classy beer and wine tasting event where members of the community and surrounding communities come together, network and try really awesome food and alcohol." 

General admission tickets are available prior to the event for $20 at Ric’s Food Center, the Shepherd Bar or online at mpbeerfest.com. Tickets cost $25 at the door. VIP tickets cost $35 and include early admission, first access to limited quantity beers and an opportunity to meet the brewery representatives. 

Proceeds from the event are given to local non-profit organizations such as Mount Pleasant Child & Family Enrichment and Foster Closet of Michigan. 

The Mount Pleasant Jaycees have granted more than $33,000 to community organizations since the event began in 2014 – more than $15,000 in 2014 and more than $18,000 in 2015.

“This is a fun event for Michigan craft beer enthusiasts and the Mount Pleasant area residents, and our local non-profit organizations benefit. It is a win-win,” said Bryan Wieferich, Mount Pleasant Jaycees member and event co-chair, in a release. “By offering more cider and wine, we hope the event will appeal to even more people.”

Blizzard said food vendors include Max & Emily's, Antlers, Fireside Grill, Dog Central, Erbert & Gerberts Sandwich Shop, Killer Hibachi and Green Tree Co-Op.

"The fact this is downtown is huge," Blizzard said. "You get to come and taste some of Michigan's finest beer and wine. Our food vendors our amazing this year. Just by going. Just by paying that dollar ticket amount, you're giving back to the community."

The event is open to those 21 years of age and older. VIP hour begins at 3 p.m. and general admission begins at 4 p.m. The festival ends at 9 p.m.

Local musical artists Matt Gabriel and Mark Daisy will each be performing on Saturday. 

The Bird Bar and Grill is the title sponsor for the event.

According to the event's website, Baymont Inn and Suites in Mount Pleasant is offering a discounted rate and free rides to and from the festival for ticket holders.

For more information, go to mpbeerfest.com

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →