Mount Pleasant man arrested, charged with arson of storage warehouse on Walnut Street

The Mount Pleasant Police Department arrested a 25-year-old Mount Pleasant man on June 10 for the June 8 arson of a storage warehouse located at 200 Walnut St. near the city's downtown.

According to a Monday press release, officers canvassed the area for possible witnesses after the fire. Several individuals claimed seeing Christopher Bott-Fleming setting off fireworks by the building before the fire.

One of the witnesses stated they saw Bott-Fleming running from the north side of the burning building. Another witness observed Bott-Fleming lighting off fireworks by the railroad tracks near the fire. They also told officers Bott-Fleming was later bragging about setting fire to the building, according to the release.

Bott-Fleming was arraigned June 11 on charges of third degree arson, a 10-year felony. He is also charged with arson preparation to burn property, which carries a $20,000 or more fine and is also a 10-year felony. 

Bott-Fleming is currently lodged at the Isabella County Jail. Bond has been set at $150,000 or 10 percent.

Lt. Randy Keeler of the Mount Pleasant Fire Department said a 911 call was received around 6:47 p.m on June 8. Firefighters arrived at the scene at 6:52 p.m., observing heavy smoke conditions coming from the building. The fire was brought under control at approximately 3 a.m., June 9 after a bulldozer was brought in to demolish parts of the structure.

Considered a total loss, damages of the building and its contents are estimated at more than $350,000.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →