SGA creates new social media position for 2016 school year

To better communicate with students, Central Michigan University's Student Government Association is conducting a "large-scale overhaul" of its use of social media. 

President Ian Elliot said SGA is looking for a hard-working and self-motivated student to fill the paid position of "social media coordinator."

"My 'large-scale' comment comes from a very obvious need for a much stronger channel of communication to the student body," Elliot said. "I think we only have a couple thousand followers on Twitter and a difficult time turning over. We don't get the majority of freshmen connecting with (SGA) in general."

Elliot said there was a "huge disconnect" between what SGA accomplished last school year and the information communicated to the student body.

SGA's main method of distributing information to the student body has been via email, Elliot said, but not everyone can be reached that way.

The new position will likely be titled "social media coordinator," Elliot said. In the past, SGA has had a marketing committee headed by the press secretary, but never a position dedicated to social media.

If students are interested in applying for this job, send resumes to ellio1id@cmich.edu

SGA's first meeting of the semester will be Sept. 19 in the auditorium on the second floor of the Bovee University Center.  

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →